Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 Receives EXT4 Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 Receives EXT4 Support

With the EXT4 file-system having been stabilized with the Linux 2.6.28 kernel, the Ubuntu developers are preparing to adopt this evolutionary Linux file-system update. EXT4 will not replace EXT3 as the default file-system until at least Ubuntu 9.10, but as of yesterday, Ubuntu 9.04 now has install-time support for EXT4. In this article we are looking at the EXT4 support within Ubuntu as well as providing a few Linux file-system benchmarks from a netbook-embedded solid-state drive. In this article we have published Ubuntu benchmarks of EXT4, EXT3, XFS, JFS, and ReiserFS file-systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay, I can switch / to ext4 with new release ^^;

Comment

So what year does Ubuntu get the new theme which should get into 8.04?

@Topic: Great, will check it out in a few minutes, the Kubuntu-daily installer crashes for me for some time now

Comment

Hopefully it'll be stable enough as I'm also very interested in switching to ext4 for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
          Hopefully it'll be stable enough as I'm also very interested in switching to ext4 for some reason.
          Me too though I know why ...

Long disc checks are killing me, so 10 time speed up sounds very nice to me ... I wonder why those are needed, when I used RaiserFS there were no such checks there.

Comment

What I would really like to know is what the uncertainties are on those plots.

1% 5% 10%?

Results without error bars are worth nothing, as it is impossible to tell if all we see is noise.

Comment

Fresh installs?

Were these tests done on the hardware with a clean install each time with each file system as big as the others and occupying the same disk geometry?

Comment

Originally posted by Amit View Post
                Were these tests done on the hardware with a clean install each time with each file system as big as the others and occupying the same disk geometry?
                Yes, we always do fresh installs each time.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

btrfs

Please conduct a test with the latest version of btrfs.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ashayh View Post
                    Please conduct a test with the latest version of btrfs.

Thanks
                    I thought BetterFS wasn't even fully implemented yet, or can it do most all the basics already? Regardless, I'm sure it won't be nearly as fast as later on when everything gets stabilized more, but benchmarks of it would indeed be interesting.

And don't forget Tux3! ^^

As far as EXT4 is concerned, it looks great, thanks for the benchmarks!

Comment

Working...
                    X