No announcement yet.

Initial Benchmarks Of Endeavour OS - The New Linux Distro Based On Arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main advantage in terms of performance for arch isn't its "out of the box" settings. The advantage is being more customizable then most distros. I notice based on this testing it is also noticeably faster in regards to context switching. I am sure that is part of why it feels so subjectively fast to most people. It's a great distro for real world use where your opening closing and tabbing around.

The combo of running exactly what you want how you want it and blazing fast context switching makes for a very pleasant desktop experience.

For pure speed of course clear is still the king of benchmarks and a terrible everyday distro. Opensuse might just be one of the best performance distros around right now imo but only if your willing to tinker with their default. If you just install and click next next next next and go with btrfs and its other defaults it's just average.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Well, finished behind Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on the geometric mean graph. Looks like having up-to-date packages is not the secret for the highest performance after all.
      Compiling with tweaked compiler options is the secret. The Arch way is to stay as close to upstream as possible, so I assume there isn't much extra optimization over stock software when in most cases. The benefit of that is that you can simply report errors directly to upstream, because your setup is pretty straightforward, and you can easily reference PKGBUILD if needed to get the exact setup for your build. This results in Arch users being the first who report breakage such as that Linux 4.18 incident with Core 2 Duo systems.

Comment

Arch is friendly enough that you never need to ask. It doesn't get any friendlier than that. I remember (on Arch) where I had the habit of installing numix-frost and xplayer. And that combo made my sound scratchy. So if you use a custom build distro like Antergos It may lead you into bad habits even when you stray away from it and go vanilla.

I really enjoyed Feliz but that was also fairly close to core for an installer. gdm is a mess and lightdm is a mess with gtk and webkit being updated constantly but using sddm is also an annoyance. There are clean advantages of distros setting custom things up for you. But most of the time it's better to keep things plain. You'll always end up spending more time setting the system up the way you like it, than installing the system.

Comment

Originally posted by abracat View Post
          You'll always end up spending more time setting the system up the way you like it, than installing the system.
          If it ain't broke fix it till it is

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            In Fact Canonical have a very good operating system for servers, its a good option..
            Canonical takes a good operating system for servers from Debian, yes.

Ubuntu is basically Debian with some minor customizations.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Canonical takes a good operating system for servers from Debian, yes.

Ubuntu is basically Debian with some minor customizations.
              with profinal support, like red hat is fedora with pro support right?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

with profinal support, like red hat is fedora with pro support right?
                *optional professional support
                Afaik bulk of Ubuntu VMs in most clouds exist because it's free, not because of professional support.

Comment

Fedora is missing from the x265 and SVT-AV1 test result tables. Is there a package unavailable on Fedora or another issue that blocks it from running these?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
                    There was a theory that Arch is slower because it ships a `CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL` kernel
                    A quick grep through Arch's kernel config returns both CONFIG_HZ=300 / CONFIG_HZ_300=y and CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL=y. Any idea which one is in use?

NOHZ FULL shouldn't be in use according to #2 here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...mers/NO_HZ.txt

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

A quick grep through Arch's kernel config returns both CONFIG_HZ=300 / CONFIG_HZ_300=y and CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL=y. Any idea which one is in use?

NOHZ FULL shouldn't be in use according to #2 here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...mers/NO_HZ.txt
                      CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL is used.

If you read that whole section, it's not so clear-cut. But yes, CONFIG_NO_HZ_IDLE could presumably be better, which was exactly my point.

Comment

Working...
                      X