Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    well said and fair.

I do what I can and a few of them have indeed paid RHEL subscriptions. Unfortunately reality settles and most people are not willing to pay. I try to balance the scales in a different way, by contributing patches/code, by giving my support to others and by promoting CentOS to kids/students.
    They do not pay because they do not care about the people who work on the software. Of course, plenty of corporations are the same. It's a shame but not surprising.

Thank you for helping people see the path.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
      well said and fair.

I do what I can and a few of them have indeed paid RHEL subscriptions. Unfortunately reality settles and most people are not willing to pay. I try to balance the scales in a different way, by contributing patches/code, by giving my support to others and by promoting CentOS to kids/students.
      I believe your client's perspective on this is not congruent with most of the business world. This has nothing to do with 'contribution' or 'caring about the people'.

For a time, I was attempting to convince my clients to use CentOS - they refused and demanded RHEL instead. The reason being, they cannot afford any extensive downtime, so having the 24/7 technical support from Red Hat is very much worth it to them. While I can generally solve just about any of their RHEL problems (I have RHEL7 CSA), there has been the occasional one (usually traced back to a bug) where I've had to pull all-nighters with Red Hat Support to get things straightened out. I'm now a RHEL believer, as nobody knows everything, and nobody can work 24/7, so having vendor tech support is a must for any business-critical deployment. What happens when the system goes down, and you're away on vacation? Does your client wait for you to return before resuming their business operations??
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 07-24-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

CentOS is so perfect, it auto-heals itself and doesn't have any downtime. It will also solve hardware problems and will power on its own server. I am on permanent vacation.

If I can't run CentOS, I'll go back to OS/2

Comment

Fedora team are aiming for 8.1 to release EPEL (and then rpmfusion will work) so I think 8.1 will be the point I use RHEL as my main desktop.

Comment

I would feel it will be released in mid-august.

Comment

Working...
            X