OpenSUSE Enables LTO By Default For Tumbleweed - Smaller & Faster Binaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Enables LTO By Default For Tumbleweed - Smaller & Faster Binaries

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Enables LTO By Default For Tumbleweed - Smaller & Faster Binaries

The past few months openSUSE developers have been working on enabling LTO by default for its packages while now finally with the newest release of the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed this goal has been accomplished...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As we can see, other distributions follow in the footsteps of OpenMandriva. That's good. We finally have something innovative. One system clears routes, and then others introduce that's what worked for others.

Comment

Oh that's why so many packages broke and now need a %define _lto_cflags %{nil} line in the specfile.

Comment

Yet when us Gentoo'ers do this we're called ricers :P

Comment

Hopefully there wil be *only* positive improvments and not negative ones

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Oh that's why so many packages broke and now need a %define _lto_cflags %{nil} line in the specfile.
            Or maybe someone could fix the package.

LTO on GCC and CLang is good enough these days that when I look into LTO build failures, it's almost always a dodgy piece of code doing some trick it shouldn't be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Yet when us Gentoo'ers do this we're called ricers :P
              Indeed. Someone has to be bleeding edge and test stuff. If you look at some of the tickets, they refer a lot to the work InBetweenNames did on thei GentooLTO project.
              Gentoo is great at getting a lot of volunteers to put eyes to a problem, but not that great at checking the boxes so things can be marked as done.
              In that way OpenSuse is helping the entier project along.

Remember, this is opensource, and most of the time everybody wins. A bit like Academia. Somebody has to prove something wrong, but that itself is not a bad thing.
              (It's often easier to test for failures than even know what "success" is)

Comment

Ah, that's why I got a massive 2,200+ packages update today. Only freed up 110MB or so of disk space though; that's like 50kB/package on average. Still, removing DE AD C0 DE is always a plus.

Comment

I updated both my laptop and my desktop PC to the last great snapshot, no problem to report, Tumbleweed seems to work very well.

Comment

This would be something to look forward to, except Michael will run the benchmarks with the opensuse defaults. Slow btrfs file system, slow kde plus balloo full disk indexing in the background, CPU governor set to powersave mode, CPU mitigations set to super paranoid level. And I might have missed a few. Not going to be able to tell a thing about LTO with opensuse defaults in place.

Comment

Working...
                    X