OpenSUSE Enables LTO By Default For Tumbleweed - Smaller & Faster Binaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    This would be something to look forward to, except Michael will run the benchmarks with the opensuse defaults. Slow btrfs file system, slow kde plus balloo full disk indexing in the background, CPU governor set to powersave mode, CPU mitigations set to super paranoid level. And I might have missed a few. Not going to be able to tell a thing about LTO with opensuse defaults in place.
    Maybe if we say "please!" he will include some numbers for an optimized Suse configuration.

Comment

So, when a Chromium LTO build is done, I suspect it is 2 releases behind already?

Comment

For some reason, the message says "latest" and then links to a release from 2 weeks ago. The latest is 20190713, and yes the update was huge for me 3700+ packages.

Comment

"please!"

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
            For some reason, the message says "latest" and then links to a release from 2 weeks ago. The latest is 20190713, and yes the update was huge for me 3700+ packages.
            20190713 is correct. Martin provided the corrected link in his very next post, here: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00241.html

Comment

A very interesting blog post about this by Honza Hubička, here: https://hubicka.blogspot.com/2019/05...rocedural.html. he includes a histogram of package size changes. About 65% decreased in size (by at least 1%), but about 8% grew larger (some of those grew by huge proportions). He reports that about 150 'Tumbleweed' package are alreasdy built with LTO disabled. I would expect that count to increase for a while (as more "growing" packages disabled), and then decrease slowly, as Source Code within some of those packages is revised to be more compatible with LTO. He did compare file counts or CPU performance within that posting.

Comment

Wow this is really great news - finally a mainstream distribution is used the advanced optimizations modern compilers can offer these days.

This has been really long overdue, most major distributions still compiler everyting with "-O2" - leaving all those inter-file-optimizations unused.
                I really hope RedHat and others will follow soon...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Ah, that's why I got a massive 2,200+ packages update today. Only freed up 110MB or so of disk space though; that's like 50kB/package on average. Still, removing DE AD C0 DE is always a plus.
                  Here it was ~5385 last night...

Comment

I'd like to see a build infrastructure that automatically detects whether or not it makes sense or not to statically link a given library into a given object, and which updates the dependent package with the dependency in a mostly-automatic fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Slow btrfs file system, slow kde plus balloo full disk indexing in the background, CPU governor set to powersave mode, CPU mitigations set to super paranoid level. And I might have missed a few. Not going to be able to tell a thing about LTO with opensuse defaults in place.
                      A before and after test should show what difference LTO makes regardless of which desktop in installed.

Comment

Working...
                      X