Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10 To Ship With Flicker-Free Boot Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 To Ship With Flicker-Free Boot Support

Thanks to the upstream work achieved by Red Hat engineers working on Fedora the past few cycles, Ubuntu 19.10 should have a flicker-free boot experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With amdgpu is still flickers in kernel 5.2 / Debian testing.

Comment

Do Linux users really care that much about a little bit of flicker at the start? Of all the problems I've encountered in my life, I would rate this close to last place in priority, but maybe others see this differently?

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post
        Do Linux users really care that much about a little bit of flicker at the start? Of all the problems I've encountered in my life, I would rate this close to last place in priority, but maybe others see this differently?
        It's not about it being a priority, it's more about polish. Stuff that people don't notice unless it stands out.

The fact that they are caring about this says lots about the current state of Linux on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post
          weird, yes. But less important issues take less amount of work as opposed to the very complicated important ones

Comment

Does this only work on intel?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              AMDGPU too. It works if you're using Mesa. I have an RX 560. I get less flicker than before, but it's still not flicker-free.

But it seems to work better with Intel graphics, as the article says.
              Last edited by alqm; 16 July 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                For all 3 big heads and possibly else, chances are slim but not impossible

Sans this, sans blobs, sans bugs

1) I get a black screen for a couple of seconds during boot?

1.1) If you have an AMD or Nvidia GPU driving your screen, then this is normal. The graphics drivers for AMD and Nvidia GPUs reset the hardware when loading, this will cause the display to temporarily go black. There is nothing which can be done about this.
                There have been questions about the Fedora 30 Flicker Free Boot Change in various places, here is a FAQ which hopefully answers most questions: 1) I get a black screen for a couple of seconds during boot? 1.1) If you have an AMD or Nvidia GPU driving your screen, then this is normal. The graphics…
                Last edited by dungeon; 16 July 2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Reliable wakeup when I open my laptop lid would be worth much more to me than flicker free ...
                  Every few times I open my laptop, it is just dead and I have to hold in the power to hard reset.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    With amdgpu is still flickers in kernel 5.2 / Debian testing.
                    Not on Fedora 31, on a Ryzen laptop and a RX580 workstation

Comment

Working...
                    X