No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 To Ship With Flicker-Free Boot Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It feels like I've been hearing about a "flicker-free boot coming soon" for many years now.

Comment

The first time I saw a flicker free boot was when the goede demonstrated it. The last time I checked on recent lenovo hardware (2 month ago) Windows 10 was still showing a awful long boot process animation between the boot logo and the login screen, so not flicker free. Flicker free is when there is a smooth switch from boot boot logo to login screen. If I see 3 pictures it counts as failure.

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post

Well, I work with both kinds of operating systems (Linux, Win10) and I honestly couldn't even tell you, if the Win10 boot process is flicker free. I know that the Linux boot process on my laptop is kind of tedious, because I need to enter my 20+ letters LUKS passphrase, which is 1000x more disruptive than a bit of flicker.

Once you start auditing your workflows for regulatory compliance you usually have other problems than "first impressions". So my guess is, that flicker free boot is more of a thing for enduser/consumer devices? This would be an explanation that would justify the amount of effort put into that area by de Goede / Redhat.

IMO for the Linux desktop in itself this would make no sense whatsoever.
        I don't see your point. Do you mean that the Linux desktop would be better if it didn't have flicker free boot? It's not one or the other. We need it all, a user friendly way to enter your disk passphrase, usability & regulatory compliance AND flicker free boot, on dedicated hardware, on consumer PCs and mobile devices alike. It won't be a good desktop OS until it ticks every single of these boxes, including the small details. If Windows does it, and Mac does it, then there is no excuse why Linux shouldn't do it.

Comment

Is UEFI boot necessary for this or can we get flicker-free with legacy as well?
          My system supports both but I've never switched to UEFI since I am used to the old system and did not feel to learn the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            Is UEFI boot necessary for this or can we get flicker-free with legacy as well?
            My system supports both but I've never switched to UEFI since I am used to the old system and did not feel to learn the new one.
            Yes, it is.

You should probably upgrade, there's no reason not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Yes, it is.

You should probably upgrade, there's no reason not to.
              Alright, it was just laziness to learn the new thing (well and to reinstall the bootloader when I switched MB but not drives I guess).
              Is there any other interesting advantage to gain?

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X