Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora To Stop Providing i686 Kernels, Might Also Drop 32-Bit Modular/Everything Repos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anvil
    replied
    this should of been done years ago, around when RHEL dropped it from RHEL7

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

There are printers that don't just use CUPS?
    Brother printers tend to have binary drivers for CUPS.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There are a few things about this. Printer drivers don't need multilib. Cups running in a 32 bit container/chroot with device access works Most of these printer drivers only require a very bare bones setup of libc and sometimes libstdc++.. Hard reality is these printers most likely could be wrapped in QEMU user mode without binfmt_misc the performance overhead on printers is not that much of a killer.

Also this is kind of horrible thinking that HP manages for their printers to provide fully 64 bit drivers and those who have reversed engineered so making printer drivers for Linux are 64 bit. This is case you really do need to stop buying printer to use with Linux that don't provide full 64 bit drivers.
    I'd much rather pay extra every time I need to print something (which isn't too often) rather than wasting space for a printer, and having to remember to check whether I have enough paper and whatever else for it, not to mention all other issues that might pop up with printers. I also don't install CUPS on my machines most of the time (I've designated my home server for running that daemon), as it's simply silly. The professional approach is to have a machine designated for printing things out, and supplying PDF files to it from workstations.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I'm talking about printer drivers provided as a binary. These just won't work without multilib set up.
    There are a few things about this. Printer drivers don't need multilib. Cups running in a 32 bit container/chroot with device access works Most of these printer drivers only require a very bare bones setup of libc and sometimes libstdc++.. Hard reality is these printers most likely could be wrapped in QEMU user mode without binfmt_misc the performance overhead on printers is not that much of a killer.

Also this is kind of horrible thinking that HP manages for their printers to provide fully 64 bit drivers and those who have reversed engineered so making printer drivers for Linux are 64 bit. This is case you really do need to stop buying printer to use with Linux that don't provide full 64 bit drivers.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    They use CUPS but provide a 32-bit only filter binary. But for printer drivers, QEMU user mode + binfmt_misc would likely be acceptable. For games, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• scottishduck
    replied

I'm talking about printer drivers provided as a binary. These just won't work without multilib set up.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by r08z View Post
    I think the bigger question is when is steam going to start shipping 64bit clients and why the hell are 99% of games still being made in 32bit?
    Not the ones I have. Newer indie games I bought have 64 bit binaries. Every AAA game being released out there is 64 bit only.

If you buy Unity Engine based games, is guaranteed they have a 64bit version, unless the developer believes Linux users only have access to old Intel Atom powered netbooks.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Are you talking of some installer? Proprietary drivers themselves are pretty much guaranteed to be multilib and there's a 64bit part that works if system doesn't support multilib.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied

Multilib isn't just about Steam games. There are plenty of other things that need it, including proprietary drivers that never got 64-bit releases.
    Are you talking of some installer? Proprietary drivers themselves are pretty much guaranteed to be multilib and there's a 64bit part that works if system doesn't support multilib.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

It might not actually be that bad at this point. It's pretty easy to enable Flathub and install Steam as Flatpak on Fedora. Now what would really be a bold move is removing 32bit support from 64bit kernels to reduce attack surface.
    Multilib isn't just about Steam games. There are plenty of other things that need it, including proprietary drivers that never got 64-bit releases.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X