Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora To Stop Providing i686 Kernels, Might Also Drop 32-Bit Modular/Everything Repos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So?

ive never understood this mentality that everything must be supported forever. It is just wasteful of talent. With modern hardware it is down right silly to be supporting 32 bit software.

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Multilib isn't just about Steam games. There are plenty of other things that need it, including proprietary drivers that never got 64-bit releases.

Comment

Brother printers tend to have binary drivers for CUPS.
      which ones? Brother has 64-bit drivers for tons of models.

Comment

Can’t see quote button on mobile. Nearly every game released in the past few years has been 64 bit due to the 4 gb address space on Windows. Also, this mentions nothing about multilib, so chill. Just like with the Ubuntu announcement, everyone is all worked up over nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
          Can’t see quote button on mobile. Nearly every game released in the past few years has been 64 bit due to the 4 gb address space on Windows. Also, this mentions nothing about multilib, so chill. Just like with the Ubuntu announcement, everyone is all worked up over nothing.
          try landscape screen orientation

Comment

I'd much rather pay extra every time I need to print something (which isn't too often) rather than wasting space for a printer, and having to remember to check whether I have enough paper and whatever else for it, not to mention all other issues that might pop up with printers. I also don't install CUPS on my machines most of the time (I've designated my home server for running that daemon), as it's simply silly. The professional approach is to have a machine designated for printing things out, and supplying PDF files to it from workstations.
            You are being stupid. Getting a printer with 64 bit driver support is not exact hard.

All the printers with IPP Everywhere and Apple Airprint on the box work with Linux without requiring to install third party drivers so are 64 bit supported. Yes this is USB and network connection.

Brother printers tend to have binary drivers for CUPS.
            There are many Brother printers that support Airprint if it supports Airprint you don't need to install Brothers binary driver.

Horrible fact here brother printers that truly need the binary driver in 3 to 4 years you will not be able to get the consumables so they are on the way out.

Also a brother printer that support Airprint will display more features using the generic airprint driver than using the brother binary driver.

Reality check here is printers drivers requiring 32 bit libraries to print are for legacy printers.

If you were talking about scanning on MFC printers that is a different set of problems and mostly that is 64 bit as well..

If you are using a machine decanted for printing having to jump though some extra steps to make 32 bit still work on that is not a major problem. Printing to cups server on a decanted machine for a brother printer that has 32 bit library requirement does not require machines sending print jobs to that decanted server to have 32 bit support.

So if you are buying a printer today there is no reason to put your money down on a printer that does not support a 64 bit driver on Linux. You either have like the HP what provide a feature rich full direct driver and IPP Everywhere or you have items like the Brother were they provide Airprint support that turns out to be better than if you waste the time installing the binary printer driver.

Saying need 32 bit to print when you really look at is not that solid of a argument. The 32 bit libraries required for printer drivers are not enough to start graphical applications. This is what kind of annoying with brother print drivers they updated the GUI parts but have not update one program in processing to 64 bit. Maybe distributions starting to drop multilib will give them the need push to update their printer drivers or maybe they will just end of line all those printers that need that driver first.

Comment

Originally posted by nivedita View Post
              They don't if you look closely. Airprint models of Brother are able to be driven fully 64 bit. Brother third pary printer drivers in fact depend on 32 bit glibc and 32 bit stdc++ libraries(hello trouble coming). There is a single program in what Brother provides as so called 64 bit drivers for Linux that is 32 bit and it about converting the output for the printer. Thinking they have updated the GUI parts to 64 bit I would love for brother to put a little bit of resources into fix that 32 bit program to 64 bit. Or maybe now someone reverses their printer driver.

Comment

Originally posted by nivedita View Post

Have a look at the DCP-9000 series. I have a DCP-9015CDW and it has 32bit binaries. For the scanner part they have 64bit drivers.
                Still figuring out if the printer driver provided by Brother or the one provided with cups works best.

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post
                  Have a look at the DCP-9000 series. I have a DCP-9015CDW and it has 32bit binaries. For the scanner part they have 64bit drivers.
                  Still figuring out if the printer driver provided by Brother or the one provided with cups works best.
                  DCP-9015CDW is a airprint compatible printer. So you don't need to install the brother printer driver to print with it. The generic airprint driver in cups will do the job even over USB. So no 32 bit libraries and DCP-9015CDW/complete DCP-9000 series stay functional. You have lost 1 print driver restricting to 64 bit but its a duplicate printer driver.

The scanner software for the DCP-9015CDW is all 64 bit.

There is only a single binary in the brother provided print driver that you don't have to use to use the printer that is 32 bit with the DCP-9015CDW.

This is why I have such a problem when people say its about printer driver why we need multilib the reality is majority of new printers go are going to buy to use with Linux are going to have a full 64 bit only setup option. Legacy printers are the ones that you will be needing 32 bit parts for.

Yes it highly annoying with the brother printers that they have update the scanner software to full 64 bit for Linux yet their third party printer driver is still a mixed beast of 32 and 64 bit. So this is more a reason to yell at Brother update your drivers.

Remember the big thing here is losing these printer drivers that need 32 bit support over 95 of the time this does not mean the printer cannot print as those drivers are fairly much duplication so you just use the distribution/open source provide driver instead.

For a 5 percent problem for a old printers that is going to go end of life on consumables jumping though a few extra hoops is not a major problem because the printer itself is going to soon give you problems with the consumables so you should be considering replacing it as well.

With the facts there is no way I can make an arguement for multi lib using printer drivers. A few vendor update and printers would not even be in the debate. With the reality that new printers its not a major problem either.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

DCP-9015CDW is a airprint compatible printer. So you don't need to install the brother printer driver to print with it. The generic airprint driver in cups will do the job even over USB. So no 32 bit libraries and DCP-9015CDW/complete DCP-9000 series stay functional. You have lost 1 print driver restricting to 64 bit but its a duplicate printer driver.

The scanner software for the DCP-9015CDW is all 64 bit.

There is only a single binary in the brother provided print driver that you don't have to use to use the printer that is 32 bit with the DCP-9015CDW.

This is why I have such a problem when people say its about printer driver why we need multilib the reality is majority of new printers go are going to buy to use with Linux are going to have a full 64 bit only setup option. Legacy printers are the ones that you will be needing 32 bit parts for.

Yes it highly annoying with the brother printers that they have update the scanner software to full 64 bit for Linux yet their third party printer driver is still a mixed beast of 32 and 64 bit. So this is more a reason to yell at Brother update your drivers.

Remember the big thing here is losing these printer drivers that need 32 bit support over 95 of the time this does not mean the printer cannot print as those drivers are fairly much duplication so you just use the distribution/open source provide driver instead.

For a 5 percent problem for a old printers that is going to go end of life on consumables jumping though a few extra hoops is not a major problem because the printer itself is going to soon give you problems with the consumables so you should be considering replacing it as well.

With the facts there is no way I can make an arguement for multi lib using printer drivers. A few vendor update and printers would not even be in the debate. With the reality that new printers its not a major problem either.
                    I have been disecting their 32bit .deb packages already and noticed the 32bit cruft in there. Just comparing the difference between the cups and brother drivers and if there is any actual difference make my own .deb package if it is needed. I have nothing for or against multilibs, it will be all sorted out in time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      ive never understood this mentality that everything must be supported forever. It is just wasteful of talent.
                      Your posts are a waste of talent wasting the brain cells of people reading them.

Comment

Working...
                      X