• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The forums can be "a little" harsh.

Arch community is unfriendly. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by IroLix View Post
      That's why I like the Debian forums. While Arch is a great distro it's the community that's rather condescending.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        Want to run Debian with up to date packages? No problem, just run testing or unstable.
        Debian testing and unstable are still using a 4.19 kernel, since more than half a year.

Yes, I know how to get a recent kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by heliosh View Post
          Debian testing and unstable are still using a 4.19 kernel, since more than half a year.

Yes, I know how to get a recent kernel.
          Yes, because 4.19 is the latest LTS kernel and because of the freeze, which is now over. You could pull in a more recent kernel from experimental or build your own, but you won't have to now that the freeze is over. Expect regular kernel updates to resume shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            First of all, I really miss him here, and the forum feels dead without him. Also, Debian tries to be "universal", not a server distro.
            That's why Debian Testing exists.

You can't be stable and bleeding edge at the same time, no matter what Arch fans tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by YorkieOl View Post
              Ok, linux isn't exactly a games machine, but 32bit support covers more than "just games". Taking it away hurts users that want/need it. Bad move ubuntu..

Being on mint, theres a debian edition and at my level, its probably a better choice (for me) to progress with linux and avoid ubuntu's mess.

Back to my thoughts on debian, maybe this is just the time to push this distro. Debian could do well from ubuntu's poor decisions..
              Debian per-se isn't really into massive marketing nor has a very specific target in mind so it can't really focus.

As for the 32bit libs, don't worry. 99.99% of what is Ubuntu actually comes from Debian. Someone will just respin the same 32bit Debian packages as a PPA for Ubuntu and life will go on as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Lol. These recent Debian arguments are all based on one's personal view of what "Stable" means.
                Stable is "does not break".

The closest to that is "minimal package churn with security updates with minimal changes".

What you are talking about is "the level of stability different people are fine with".

Comment

Originally posted by IroLix View Post
                  Arch community is composed of people that usually figure out most normal stuff on their own.

It's somewhat expected that they will react poorly to people asking noob questions when they could have RTFM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    That's why Debian Testing exists.

You can't be stable and bleeding edge at the same time, no matter what Arch fans tell you.
                    That. There's a reason I switched to Manjaro after almost a decade using Arch or Antergos.

Arch Testing > Debian Experimental
                    Arch Stable > Debian Unstable
                    Manjaro Testing > Debian Testing
                    Manjaro Stable > Debian Stable

The difference is that the Arch/Manjaro side takes a month or three to get from the top to the bottom of the list, not a nine months to year like Debian. 17, 18 years ago Debian taking that long didn't bother me because software wasn't released as fast as it is now. These days software evolves at a much faster rate than Debian is traditionally used to making it not a good choice for my desktop needs.

Anyhoo, that's how I view the Manjaro/Arch relationship in Debian terms. CLI-only to Fluxbox; probably won't have any issues with Arch. Use a major DE like Gnome or KDE and you'll be glad you have Manjaro's extra layer of testing involved. The more you do and use, the more testing you should want and likely need.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Stable is "does not break".

The closest to that is "minimal package churn with security updates with minimal changes".

What you are talking about is "the level of stability different people are fine with".
                      That isn't a set in stone rule. Just an opinion who's meaning varies by distribution and person.

EDIT: One could argue that you just defined LTS, for example.
                      Last edited by skeevy420; 08 July 2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X