X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post

And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date. Debian buster is fairly up to date, and the testing repo is more than bleeding edge enough for most users anyway. If you can't wait a month or two (and in some cases less) to get the latest and greatest then you obviously value stability less than shiny. Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!
    When you need things like LLVM 9 for AMDGPU optimizations, or, holy shit, Mesa newer than 18.3...ROFL...Debian is going to suck for gaming.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

> And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date.
    I can and will make that comparison. Software is updated for a reason. [cont. after next quote...]

> you obviously value stability less than shiny
    No, I value having up to date software that has fixes and better support -- of which won't reach Debian until some dumb neckbeard thinks that because something is over 6 months old it is now ""stable.""
    Old != Stable -- they don't even test this shit, they just think that because it's old it must be good.

> Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!
    I mean, they're launching with 3/4ths of a year old kernel for Christ's sake, the latest MinGW on there uses GCC 6 FROM 2016!
    I literally *cannot* work with this given my work entails a) graphics and b) something compiled with MinGW.

What do you define as ""real work""?
    #define REALWORK "shovel operator"

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaAshton
    replied

And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date. Debian buster is fairly up to date, and the testing repo is more than bleeding edge enough for most users anyway. If you can't wait a month or two (and in some cases less) to get the latest and greatest then you obviously value stability less than shiny. Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!
    > And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date.
    I can and will make that comparison. Software is updated for a reason. [cont. after next quote...]

> you obviously value stability less than shiny
    No, I value having up to date software that has fixes and better support -- of which won't reach Debian until some dumb neckbeard thinks that because something is over 6 months old it is now ""stable.""
    Old != Stable -- they don't even test this shit, they just think that because it's old it must be good.

> Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!
    I mean, they're launching with 3/4ths of a year old kernel for Christ's sake, the latest MinGW on there uses GCC 6 FROM 2016!
    I literally *cannot* work with this given my work entails a) graphics and b) something compiled with MinGW.

What do you define as ""real work""?

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

if you enjoy outdated software and drivers that make nothing work, sure!

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaAshton
    replied
    Congratulations to Debian withe the release!

Debian is really the universal operating system just as advertised.
    Since I started using Debian in 2006 it has been a pure trouble free joyride!
    if you enjoy outdated software and drivers that make nothing work, sure!

Leave a comment:

• Imout0
    replied
    BUUUSTEEEERRRRR!!!!

BEAMMMMMMm!!!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

I hate the package format...

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X