Debian 10.0 "Buster" Now Available - Powered By Linux 4.19, GNOME + Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I have LLVM 9 and Mesa 19.1 on my installation of Buster. What's your problem?
    The results I got when searching for Debian Buster packages with their website package searching tool the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The results I got when searching for Debian Buster packages with their website package searching tool the other night.
      Build your own. It's not that difficult. My kernel, libdrm, libglvnd and Mesa are all built from the latest upstream.

In addition to that, I compiled my own entire seperate runtime environment in $HOME/Runtime that contains the following:
      • llvm-9 with clang, libc++, libc++abi, openMP and lld
      • libpng from git
      • libjpeg from upstream
      • libogg, libtheora, libvorbis, libflac from Xiph
      • x264, x265, vp8 and vp9
      • openssl
      • Python 3.8 beta
      • libnss + nspr
      • Rust
      • SDL2
      • and many other stuff needed to run most applications
      Then in $HOME/Runtime/Applications, I compiled all the applications I need, linking against $HOME/Runtime. Perfect seperation between system and user.

And because I just upgraded my notebook with a new SSD and installed Debian 10 in it as well, I can just copy $HOME/Runtime from my desktop over to $NewLaptop and start using all my applications immediately again.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 07-08-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Build your own. It's not that difficult. My kernel, libdrm, libglvnd and Mesa are all built from the latest upstream.

In addition to that, I compiled my own entire seperate runtime environment in $HOME/Runtime that contains the following:
        • llvm-9 with clang, libc++, libc++abi, openMP and lld
        • libpng from git
        • libjpeg from upstream
        • libogg, libtheora, libvorbis, libflac from Xiph
        • x264, x265, vp8 and vp9
        • openssl
        • Python 3.8 beta
        • libnss + nspr
        • Rust
        • SDL2
        • and many other stuff needed to run most applications
        Then in $HOME/Runtime/Applications, I compiled all the applications I need, linking against $HOME/Runtime. Perfect seperation between system and user.

And because I just upgraded my notebook with a new SSD and installed Debian 10 in it as well, I can just copy $HOME/Runtime from my desktop over to $NewLaptop and start using all my applications immediately again.
        You should seriously write a step-by-step and get Michael to post it on Phoronix. That's definitely worth duplicating.

Comment

Isn't this just Linux From Scratch?

Comment

I believe most of bad experiences with Debian originates from lack of nonfree firmware files (firmware-linux-nonfree package) in isos. They really should include a nonfree iso and give people a choice. Free Software is great, but we should be able to boot the iso in order to use it. When you install it, Debian is really good. And if you want somewhat recent software with Debian Stable, just enable the backports repository.

Comment

Working...
            X