Debian 10.0 "Buster" Now Available - Powered By Linux 4.19, GNOME + Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

You aren't supposed to be using Debian stable for gaming. Use Debian testing.
    Ewww, gross. I use Manjaro. Up-to-date, stable, & does everything I need with the standard repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

When you need things like LLVM 9 for AMDGPU optimizations, or, holy shit, Mesa newer than 18.3...ROFL...Debian is going to suck for gaming.
      That's in Debian Sid.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

That's in Debian Sid.
        I had my rodeo with Siduction and Sid. Worst year of Linux ever. Efff that.

Comment

If Debian could do one thing it would be to coordinate with AMD, repackage their Pro deb packages for Debian Sid and release it under Non-Free/Contrib with OpenCL working with the latest Pro packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            If Debian could do one thing it would be to coordinate with AMD, repackage their Pro deb packages for Debian Sid and release it under Non-Free/Contrib with OpenCL working with the latest Pro packages.
            Their kernel is too old....AMD is on 5.0 now....

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

if you enjoy outdated software and drivers that make nothing work, sure!
              first let me remind you that

-debian its widely used in the business industry .

-you can install the test repo in debian if you feel you need more hardware support

and gaming isn't everything i'm using 3d software called houdini and if you are using 3d software (maya , houdini,...) with linux than new package or bleeding edge distro in most cases its a bad thing and 99% of the 3d users like me they are using centos, debian, ubuntu LTS.

and yes the most common issue in debian for most users its AMD graphics cards support thats the big problem for AND users (not NVIDIA users)
              and that an issue that debian team need to solve .

Comment

I'm with skeevy420, I remember when I used ubuntu for the first time after trying out Red Hat (when fedora didn't existed) and some years later fedora. On ubuntu it was easy to install video drivers, listen to mp3's, everything seemed to work. Then I started noticing that some software crashed and was buggy, newer releases fixed the issues, but those newer versions where not available on the repository, so I had to install ppa's which after six months made the process of upgrading to newer ubuntu releases a pain, because you had to manually disable all of them... I got tier of that 6 month cycle crap and outdated software that was more unstable than newer stable releases.

Then I heard of debian testing and jumped to that. I noticed that debian testing also had outdated software on the repositories and that I also needed to manually install the newer versions that had the features I needed. So I jumped to Sid, everything worked until some update broke the system and was to much hassle to fiddle with fixing the system since it was unbootable...

So I met ArchLinux and was skeptical at first, after going thru the installation and running it for a couple of months I totally fell in love with it, everything that I needed was up to date, if it wasn't on the main repos I could find it on the AUR with a collection bigger than debian. Nvidia drivers are kept up to date (yes I use Nvidia cards with computers in the office AMD and all CPU's AMD) so I don't have to worry about that stuff. In the more than 5 years I have been using archlinux I have only ran into issues 2 times, and those 2 times were my fault handling AUR packages, compare that to running into issues every six months when upgrading from ubuntu releases, or the dangerous debian sid... I remember when I used to mock archlinux users that bragged so much about their distro of choice and speak of them as minority with a toy linux distro, now I look at the past and it embarrasses me because they where telling the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It doesn't ask anything, just fails on sudo apt-get update. So what's the way to work around it?
                  use apt instead of apt-get, this time it should be asking.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Do you realize that's the D9VK developer upset that Debian 10 doesn't provide tools that are as up to date as they should be, notably MinGW, for compiling newer versions of Wine so he can do his thing which is providing us assholes a nice DX9 gaming experience using Wine?
                    Not sure what he's looking at. Buster's got the recent mingw 6.0.0.3 which uses GCC 8.3. And updating to a newer kernel is a pain-free experience. Whatever. Sounds like a lot of drama over nothing.

Comment

I like Debian because, unlike pretty much every other non-Slackware distro, they haven't forgotten one teeny-tiny but oh so critical detail:

NOT EVERYONE HAS AN UNLIMITED INTERNET CONNECTION.

Not even in the "first world".

My desktop only has internet if I tether my phone, which has a hard data cap. If I want to download a bunch of packages in, say, Ubuntu, I have to trudge over to a public library and download them there, and either manually download the packages' dependencies or keep a complete VM copy of my desktop system (sans /home) on a laptop, which I then have to struggle with the library's flakey Wifi connection. They base everything around you downloading a base image, then having a connection to their mirrors for anything that isn't there.

With Debian, I can just download DVD images and checksums to a USB key and take them home. Finagling with jigdo in a VM on Windows is still a complete PITA, sure, but at least it's an option. Or, if I have money to spare, I can have a set of 14 pressed DVDs sent to me. (...it's 2019, and nobody sells pressed Blurays? Fine, whatever, I can jigdo it myself.)

If that infrastructure comes at the price of sometimes having to backport a few packages of software to make things compile, well, that's a frustration I'll live with.

I used to run Arch Linux, and to this day I still prefer pacman and the AUR -- PKGBUILDs are so much easier to understand and create than the complications of making a .deb package -- but, being a rolling-release distro, it requires constantly re-downloading the new versions. Nature of the beast, of course.
                      Last edited by mulenmar; 10 July 2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X