Fedora 31 Looking At No Longer Building i686 Linux Kernel Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Really I would love to see Pi4 head to head with Atom Z670 the last intel processor 32 bit only processor you can still buy. I know the atom graphics are not going to work because it powervr. The Atom Z670 has a list price for just cpu of 75 USD.
    The Pi4 uses Cortex A72 cores which are 64bit. Raspian runs in 32 bit mode but that's because they want to preserve full backward and forward software compatibility all the way back to the original Pi. But I'm running a 64bit Ubuntu 18.04 on a Pi3.

Comment

If i386 decline stays at it current pace in under 6 years there will be no new user submissions.
      I'm quite sure the decline is not going to be linear all the way to 0. Surely there will be some curmudgeons and retro-computing people that will continue to use it as long as it's supported.

For something like Fedora that is the testing ground for RHEL that redhat is planning to support for 10+ years a architecture who users are going to die out in 6 years really does not look that good.
      Uh, RHEL dropped i386 support as of RHEL 7 in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
        Uh, RHEL dropped i386 support as of RHEL 7 in 2014.
        I missed that as that puts Fedora removal of i386 library support to likely be 2021 with fighting to keep it having to start from that point on. As RHEL developers will no longer need i386 in Fedora as a testbed to support RHEL6 past that point yes this is due to RHEL6 being released in 2010 with a 10 year support cycle.

There is a lot of writing on the wall saying 32 bit libraries on x86 are doomed to be coming as part of the major distributions inside a few years. Ubuntu just went first announcing the death.

Comment

I missed that as that puts Fedora removal of i386 library support to likely be 2021 with fighting to keep it having to start from that point on. As RHEL developers will no longer need i386 in Fedora as a testbed to support RHEL6 past that point yes this is due to RHEL6 being released in 2010 with a 10 year support cycle.
          Fedora is the upstream of RHEL much like Debian is to Ubuntu. Only the i686 kernel support is dropped because nobody maintained.
          32 bit libraries support will stay on Fedora for a while because of some applications.

Comment

Working...
          X