OpenMandriva Is Also Making Plans To Move Away From 32-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Is Also Making Plans To Move Away From 32-Bit Support

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Is Also Making Plans To Move Away From 32-Bit Support

In addition to Ubuntu planning to drop 32-bit packages with their 19.10 release, the OpenMandriva development team is another high profile Linux distribution drafting plans to eliminate their 32-bit support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by monraaf
    If a ZX 80 calculator can do the job why don't you just let it do the job.
    Are you talking about a Sinclair or a TI calculator? Because I can answer that if it's TI -- we have Android phones with TI emulators that cost less than the price of a TI calculator.

I also think it's funny that OpenMandriva is going to switch some i686 libraries to rolling release, enough for Wine/Steam. Are these distributions trying to force people switch to Manjaro, Fedora, Suse, or Debian?

Where did that unnecessarily hateful systemd comment come from? I mean, fuck Nvidia.

Comment

Well,Mandrake killed itself years ago, so this isn't really a loss. Another useless distro bites the dust..... again.....

Comment

32 bit have to go sometime, so the line have to be drawn sooner or later.

What I do not understand is the panic attack some people are having, like if on the day of Ubuntu 19.10 launch suddenly their 32 bit software will stop working, even if they do not update, Y2K stile. My point is, if you really need it, just use a stable release of some distro. For exemple, Ubuntu 18.04 will receive updates until 2028!

I understand that some have a need to be on the bleeding edge for a specific reason, but the rest? Is just a compunction to be there. I now because I had it until the day I realized that all the hassle didn't worth it. Now I sail on LTS releases and couldn't be more relieved.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          What I do not understand is the panic attack some people are having,
          I do.
          Gamers mostly need latest drivers so they want the latest distro, and dropping 32bit means no Wine (mostly used for games) and no Steam (again, games), and no other third party games for Linux (GOG or something).
          LTS is NOT an option, unless you are using NVIDIA drivers, at which point wtf are you using Linux for anyway.

Then of course there is a ton of trolls and people that believe that their own ideology is what drives Linux developers.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I do.
            Gamers mostly need latest drivers so they want the latest distro, and dropping 32bit means no Wine (mostly used for games) and no Steam (again, games), and no other third party games for Linux (GOG or something).
            LTS is NOT an option, unless you are using NVIDIA drivers, at which point wtf are you using Linux for anyway.

Then of course there is a ton of trolls and people that believe that their own ideology is what drives Linux developers.
            There is nothing stopping people on using the latest kernel and graphic drivers on a Ubuntu LTS release. In fact, a point release of Ubuntu does not have the latest version of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

There is nothing stopping people on using the latest kernel and graphic drivers on a Ubuntu LTS release. In fact, a point release of Ubuntu does not have the latest version of anything.
              Yeah, but is mixing and matching PPAs* really the best option when they can just use a distribution that has what they need in the default repositories?

*Because we're talking kernels, Mesa, Vulkan implementations, LLVM, GCC, and more. At some point it becomes more hassle than it's worth to maintain a system like that and it's also the debianxfce method (and then some because of LTS). Most of us here are in agreement that the debianxfce method is just retarded when distributions like Manjaro, Tumbleweed, and Fedora contain all that's necessary up-to-date and compiled together, two of those have LTS versions with AMDGPU-Pro support, and the most an end user might have to do is use the AMD kernel and run some stuff from git for a month or so if they buy bleeding edge hardware (and if they do need that, PPA-like methods exist for all those distributions...yeah, Manjaro can be set up to use Arch Testing for mesa-git and whatnot).

Comment

There are PC104s embedded
                What's that? The only PC104 I know is a common keyboard layout.

Comment

If a ZX 80 calculator can do the job why don't you just let it do the job.
                  Yeah, let's also destroy all modern weapons and go back to sword fighting, worked fine back then, so according to you it should work fine still. And go back to treating people with herbs instead of medicine. And ...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What's that? The only PC104 I know is a common keyboard layout.
                    It's also an embedded device standard like ATX is for desktops.

Comment

Working...
                    X