Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Of OpenMandriva's AMD Zen Optimized Linux Distribution Against Ubuntu, openSUSE, Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks Of OpenMandriva's AMD Zen Optimized Linux Distribution Against Ubuntu, openSUSE, Clear Linux

Phoronix: Benchmarks Of OpenMandriva's AMD Zen Optimized Linux Distribution Against Ubuntu, openSUSE, Clear Linux

Released this week was OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 as the latest major release for this Linux distribution of Mandriva/Mandrake heritage and continues on the interesting trend of innovations. In addition to continuing to use the LLVM Clang compiler by default rather than GCC, among other changes that position it more uniquely than many other Linux distributions out there, their 4.0 release has a "znver1" spin that is optimized for AMD Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC processors. Here are benchmarks comparing not only OpenMandriva 4.0's x86-64 and Znver1 options but also how that performance compares to the likes of Ubuntu 19.04, openSUSE Tumbleweed, and Intel's Clear Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what they're doing that makes their optimized builds perform worse than generic Ubuntu or Suse builds. Those aren't the results I was expecting.

Comment

That "Result Overview" graph is pretty cool. Not sure I've ever seen something like that before.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        That "Result Overview" graph is pretty cool. Not sure I've ever seen something like that before.
        Thank you for posting my message ^^

Comment

Maybe LLVM/Clang does need more tuning for Zen? As a Sony employee does most of the work on this front, expect more Zen tuning with the new PS5. And my takeaway is that Clang still performs a bit worse than GCC at least in the benchmarks shown here.

I was surprised to see that Tumbleweed got better, their recent LTO effort seems to pay off.

Comment

Does OpenMandriva also has all packages recompiled for Zen or it is just tweaked kernel and stdlib? Because it is really weird that "zen optimized" distro works worse than "intel optimized" Clear Linux.

Comment

Didn't know this OS existed. Looks like it needs some work, but a decent start.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                Didn't know this OS existed. Looks like it needs some work, but a decent start.
                It's been around in some form or fashion for almost 21 years and started as Linux-Mandrake. it's 21st birthday is the 23rd of next month.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  Does OpenMandriva also has all packages recompiled for Zen or it is just tweaked kernel and stdlib? Because it is really weird that "zen optimized" distro works worse than "intel optimized" Clear Linux.
                  According to Michael in an earlier article:

This AMD Zen optimized build not only has the stock OS image rebuilt for Zen but a copy of its entire package archive re-built with Zen optimizations as an alternative to their generic Intel/AMD x86_64 package repository.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    Every package is rebuild for new znver1 arch. So OpenMandriva build every packages in for all archs i686, x86_64, znver1, armv7hnl, aarch64 and now also for RISCV.

Comment

Working...
                    X