Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Of OpenMandriva's AMD Zen Optimized Linux Distribution Against Ubuntu, openSUSE, Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k1e0x
    replied
    I was under the understanding that not very much (depending on the version) of znver1 was different from generic x86_64 and that it was mostly a future stub flag. Clearly a lot of work and understanding of optimizing for ZEN still can be done.

"AMD how you doing over there... would you like to help make your processors go fast?"

Leave a comment:

• berolinux
    replied
    It would be nice to see the benchmarks repeated with identical scaling governor settings etc. on all systems being compared.
    This is a tradeoff -- OpenMandriva goes with conservative by default to save power (should help with battery life on laptops, such as the Ryzen based Acer Predator Helios 500 several OpenMandriva guys are using to work on the znver1 builds). Clear Linux wants to be the fastest thing there is, without paying much attention to energy use. OpenSUSE uses ondemand which seems to be more of a middle ground.

Also, memory use and diskspace isn't being considered -- Clear Linux again tries to be fast more than anything else, they build with -O3.
    OpenMandriva tries to save some resources and uses -O3 for packages that are very important for speed, while using -Os (designed to save space at the cost of some performance) for packages that spend most time waiting for user input. Users with lower end systems will likely be happy with this choice.

I'm not sure why the GIMP numbers look pretty bad -- maybe GIMP doesn't like being built with clang too much, but another thing that might play into it is that OpenMandriva is Qt centric and does things to make GTK applications integrate with Qt environments that may be suboptimal in benchmarks (using Qt styles in GTK, for example). Not sure to what extent the GIMP benchmarks would be affected by the GTK-Qt theme engine.
    There's a good chance OpenMandriva would look much better in a Krita benchmark compared to a GTK centric distribution that tries to GTKify Krita with QGtkStyle.

Of course there's more optimizations coming in 4.1...

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    Michael AWESOME RESULT OVERVIEW GRAPH OMFG!!!!

One suggestion for that graph would be trim the vertical padding a little bit, in my low res laptop (1366 × 768) it is a bit hard to read, something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/2RhyMJd

Leave a comment:

• Wandinstallation
    replied
    Hey Michael! Thanks a lot for including cp2k!
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• xpris
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Does OpenMandriva also has all packages recompiled for Zen or it is just tweaked kernel and stdlib? Because it is really weird that "zen optimized" distro works worse than "intel optimized" Clear Linux.
    Every package is rebuild for new znver1 arch. So OpenMandriva build every packages in for all archs i686, x86_64, znver1, armv7hnl, aarch64 and now also for RISCV.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Does OpenMandriva also has all packages recompiled for Zen or it is just tweaked kernel and stdlib? Because it is really weird that "zen optimized" distro works worse than "intel optimized" Clear Linux.
    According to Michael in an earlier article:

This AMD Zen optimized build not only has the stock OS image rebuilt for Zen but a copy of its entire package archive re-built with Zen optimizations as an alternative to their generic Intel/AMD x86_64 package repository.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    Didn't know this OS existed. Looks like it needs some work, but a decent start.
    It's been around in some form or fashion for almost 21 years and started as Linux-Mandrake. it's 21st birthday is the 23rd of next month.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    Didn't know this OS existed. Looks like it needs some work, but a decent start.

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Maybe LLVM/Clang does need more tuning for Zen? As a Sony employee does most of the work on this front, expect more Zen tuning with the new PS5. And my takeaway is that Clang still performs a bit worse than GCC at least in the benchmarks shown here.

I was surprised to see that Tumbleweed got better, their recent LTO effort seems to pay off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X