No announcement yet.

Debian 10.0 "Buster" Lining Up To Release In Early July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deb system suffers a lot the age, when it was designed there wasn't so many alternatives nor the high-speed internet and infrastructures like git:

If you want to build an entire [operating] system, how exactly do you divide it up and allow people who have probably never met to work on everything individually, yet take all of the subcomponents and put them back together and make a complete system?

The way that Linux systems were distributed at the time was very much oriented toward distribution on diskettes. So you would download all these diskette images, and you'd install Linux that way. And we decided to take a different approach, because it fit well with the distributed development idea.

We decided that Debian would be based on packages. So every sub-component of the system would be contained in its own package. And the package would know how to integrate itself into the system. When you installed it, it would know how to remove itself, and know how to upgrade itself.

Debian would be based on the idea of a package, and all these people who wanted to work on it could then take responsibility for all these different packages. And we would define standards and rules that would allow a package from any source to be able to fit into the system well. So that when you take all these packages and you install them, you get an entire system that looks like it's been hand-crafted by a single, closely-knit team. And in fact that's not at all how it was put together.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...rdock-himself/
    There is no need to redesign the package manager when we already have modern and elegant package manager like Nix or Guix that can help Debian to improve their package system.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Who thought it was a good idea to distribute a program without the headers, and the headers in a separate -dev package?!?!
      People that don't need to waste space with development stuff? You know, Linux distros aren't only used in your PC but in devices where you don't want to waste space with bullshit (servers for example, as you will be doing backups and running VMs and whatever, and also midrange embedded devices)

But that's not all:
      Yes. That's one of the reasons I migrated to OpenSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
        There is no need to redesign the package manager when we already have modern and elegant package manager like Nix or Guix that can help Debian to improve their package system.
        So you want Debian to become NixOS now?

Oh my god the rape train has no brakes.

What about just fixing what does not work and have it work like the package managers in other distros. You know, those that are not Nix or Guix and are still traditional package managers and don't have these issues.

Comment

It seems I am not the only crazy that thinks these things...

by Vagrant Cascadian At: DebConf18 https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/9... GNU Guix is a build system... or is it a package manager... or an operating system? Regardless of what angle you're looking

Comment

You are crazy only because you want to have Debian make a breaking change.

Guix has its own distro already https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=guixsd

Comment

Yes you are, that guy is in no way advocating replacing APT with guix or whatever.

I'm wondering why in the flying fuck you are so strongly opinionated on a subject you so obviously have no insight in? Are you also sending letters to NASA telling them they should replace their jet engines with propellers?

Comment

The guy said to use GUIX on top of apt you want a stable system plus updating software that doesn't break your system. Which is exactly what I said, and I think is a better alternative to have pinning enabled or "apt + flatpak/snap"...
                Last edited by Danielsan; 05 August 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

My upgrade from Stretch to Buster went seamlessly with one exception that KDE needed me to reselect a user icon for the login screen.

Comment

Working...
                  X