Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometime before DebConf 2019. as expected

Very boringly optimal about 6 months of freeze

Nowdays we could even set out clocks on this Debian's Cake - 18 months of rolling then 6 months of freeze and again
    Last edited by dungeon; 12 June 2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I'll try it due to wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        No it should not. Debian is for stability and serious environments. If you want new and thrilling change distro please.
        I would say stop to use this attitude with me, we don't know each other, so try to learn at least a bit of education.
        I am pretty conscious about what is Debian, and stability doesn't mean that you can't innovate. There was more engagement ten years ago rather than today. There is a lack of focus, on my opinion, because just being stable isn't a goal. All the major distro have a stable release with even 10 years support much more than the one offers by the Debian old-stable version. All those distro state to have a serious a serious environment and have a better customers support, actually Debian doesn't have any customers support. Debian doesn't depend by anyone just its volunteer so it is free to follow whatever path they decide to pursue, thus it is pretty sad, for me, noticing the total lack of autonomy.

Last edited by Danielsan; 12 June 2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          I would say stop to use this attitude with me, we don't know each other, so try to learn at least a bit of education.
          I'm just stating facts.

I am pretty conscious about what is Debian, and stability doesn't mean that you can't innovate. There was more engagement ten years ago rather than today. There is a lack of focus, on my opinion, because just being stable isn't a goal.
          No you are not conscious about what Debian is.
          Debian is a stable (or at the very least dependable) base for a lot of downstream projects aimed at whatever else.

It's a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

It's the "giant's shoulder" for others to stand on.

Its main goal is to be stable and reliable base where people can take, add or tweak something to make their own spin. Or just create simple appliances (mini servers) for home use by recycling some old crap PC or mini PC or even ARM board.

If you want innovation or new and thrilling, look at derivatives. These are the ones I know about:
          • Devuan (strives to not use systemd, for good or worse, I think they are a bunch of noob whiners, but whatever),
          • ARMbian (provides images for all ARM boards around),
          • Raspbian (Raspberry Pi's default OS)
          • Linux Mint LMDE (Classic desktop-oriented distro),
          • Deepin (touch-friendly and GNOME-y distro),
          • EndlessOS (very polished distro for commoners)
          • VyOS (router/firewall distro, ssh/console interface),
          • OpenMediaVault (NAS distro with webinterface and optional ZFS support)
          • ProxMox (KVM virtualization with ZFS support and web interface)
          • SteamOS (Valve's "Console OS")
          • Clonezilla (Disk cloning tool, it's used as base for the bootable version)
          • Kali Linux (Penetration testing distro. Serious hacking and reverse engineering tool)
          • Kali Linux P4wnP1 ALOA (Runs on a raspberry pi zero and allows it to become a seriously powerful automated hacking tool)
          • Tails (Debian-based live DVD/USB with the goal of providing complete Internet anonymity for the user)
          • Webconverger (a live, Debian-based web kiosk)
          • OpenNetworkLinux (firmware to run businness-grade managed switches, the so-called "layer 3 switches", and has probably blobs and stuff to operate the specialized hardware they use)
          • TurnKey Linux Virtual Appliance Library (a project that provides pre-configured minimal Debian VMs for various services)

and also Ubuntu of course if you want to suffer and scream at the stupidity of Canonical. But please don't do that.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 June 2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Finally I was getting tired, anyway Debian needs to do something more, something more thrilling [..]

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I'm just stating facts.
              No you are not, because:

No you are not conscious about what Debian is.
              This is not a fact, it is just the demonstration of your rudeness expresses as arrogance.

Debian is a stable (or at the very least dependable) base for a lot of downstream projects aimed at whatever else.
              While your is an opinions because:

WHAT is Debian?

The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made common cause to create a free operating system. This operating system that we have created is called Debian.

An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run. At the core of an operating system is the kernel. The kernel is the most fundamental program on the computer and does all the basic housekeeping and lets you start other programs.
              The only facts I see here are your rudeness, arrogance and even ignorance, because you don't know the difference between what is a fact and what is an opinion.

I repeat myself again, you had better to stop using this attitude with me and try learn a bit of education and understand better the difference between a fact and an opinion.

Comment

While your is an opinions
                FYI: Nothing in that very generic statement of "what is Debian" you just cited is contradicting in any way, shape or form what I said.

It's just saying:
                • Debian is created by volunteers
                • Debian is a free OS
                • This OS is called Debian
                • <generic definition of OS>
                • <generic definition of kernel>

Comment

Unfortunately it is not me that muddles facts with opinions so understanding what you says is quite hard.

Comment

na na na na, I can't hear you, blblblblb!
                    fixed.

Comment

Whatever you want, but beside your attitude, you really don't distinguish a fact by an opinion but demand to have reason on any topic you touch for motivations that are known just by you.

From this link: https://www.debian.org/intro/about that I post before there is no one line where your statement matches the Debian description:

Its main goal is to be stable and reliable base where people can take, add or tweak something to make their own spin. Or just create simple appliances (mini servers) for home use by recycling some old crap PC or mini PC or even ARM board.
                      The only correct thing you stated is the fact that Debian is released when stable, which is well known and no one need to read further about it; all the rest are just insinuations, with a certain tone of disrespect about Debian but I already noticed your rudeness, arrogance, and superficiality; because I don't care about derivatives, derivatives aren't Debian as well Ubuntu is not Debian.

I don't pretense you understand Debian, or me, as well as you understand what is an opinion or a fact, but I pretense you stop your attitude with me; and if you are in deficit of proper manners for whatever reason, that I don't care, you can simply ignore my posts because unfortunately the ignore function doesn't work properly in this forum. If you are enough mature to understand what I wrote.

To end this is a typical case why is extremely important having a COC everywhere, people that aren't unable to moderate themselves need to learn to follow some very basic rules.

Comment

Working...
                      X