• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
    According to this page : https://github.com/facebook/zstd

Decompress speed:
    lz4: 4220 MB/s
    gzip-1: 440 MB/s
    zstd-1: 1360 MB/s

So even gzip-1 should be good enough unless you have NVMe drive that can do 1GB/s +

Personally I would rather save the space than getting a fraction of a second increase in speed...

zstd-1 would be optimal though.
    Note those numbers were gathered on a Core i9-9900K CPU @ 5.0GHz. A laptop is going to be significantly slower.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    According to this page : https://github.com/facebook/zstd

Decompress speed:
    lz4: 4220 MB/s
    gzip-1: 440 MB/s
    zstd-1: 1360 MB/s

So even gzip-1 should be good enough unless you have NVMe drive that can do 1GB/s +

Personally I would rather save the space than getting a fraction of a second increase in speed...

zstd-1 would be optimal though. (Edit: from candidates in that table)

Edit1:
    Lets take a hypothetical image that is 20MB in size:
    Compress with zstd-1:
    6.93 MB
    Compress with lz4:
    9.52 MB
    Compress with gzip-1:
    7.29 MB

Load time:
    zstd-1:
    5.099 ms
    lz4:
    2.255 ms
    gzip-1:
    16.571 ms

Saving 14ms during boot (only on NVMe) feels kind of optimizing the wrong thing ...

Edit2:
    Ok so those values are for a i9900k-wara-wara-wara

So lets say my crappy laptop is 10x slower than mentioned machine.(Crappy laptop probably doesn't even have SDD, in which case then (decompress speed/compression ratio) is king like Compartmentalisation rightly pointed out)

Now the load times (assume SSD for crappy laptop so disk io doesn't break the math)
    Load time:
    zstd-1:
    50.09 ms
    lz4:
    22.55 ms
    gzip-1:
    160.571 ms

So now it is 138.02 ms faster at boot time. Still not even close to a second ...
    Last edited by Raka555; 06 June 2019, 04:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Compartmentalisation
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    I've been compressing my kernels with xz for years, it was certainly the smallest option when I picked it then. They're 8MB each with the firmware and drivers baked in - no modules
    I use xz on Arch installations too. I don't use the autodetect hook for portability and because it bugged out once so I'll never trust autodetect again. xz keeps the non-autodetect initrd nice and small.

Way to go, Dimitri John Ledkov! I remember you from the Ubuntu mailing list. One of the few progressives left at Canonical, so it's nice to see something you do finally not be blocked by grumpy people.

Leave a comment:

• yurikoles
    replied
    Another Canonical breakthrough!

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    I've been compressing my kernels with xz for years, it was certainly the smallest option when I picked it then. They're 8MB each with the firmware and drivers baked in - no modules

Leave a comment:

• LoveRPi
    replied
    In modern era of SSD and eMMC based drives, lz4 is optimally suited. It's the only compression and decompression method that can saturate these devices. zstd/gzip/lzo/lzma/xz are all inferior on modern hardware.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    I was also thinking that zstd would get this job. Why aren't they pushing the zstd patchset into a mergable state then?

Leave a comment:

• eva2000
    replied
    yeah i thought zstd was planned ?

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    What happened to zstd support for kernel and initramfs? Seems to me the perfect fit, very small (but not smallest) and very fast (but not fastest).

There is a patchset I am using personally, no clue why this is not merged yet: https://lwn.net/Articles/771364/

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I understand what you mean, but not everyone is using the same hardware.
    Some of us that are luckier may have motherboards with better POST time and some might use a GRUB alternative like the systemd bootloader that I don't remember the name.

I use a Ubuntu based distro also on my pendrive with persistent storage so I can plug it and run it on other computers which might have better POST time than mine, so I find it nice that the distro improves the boot time as much as possible on its side of things.
    Which is why I liked your post even though we have different situations and needs. Faster anything helps, don't get me wrong, but it can also be a moot effort on enterprise grade workstations and servers due to how long their POST processes can be. My POST is as fast as a rabbit compared to some workstations and it's slow as a turtle when compared to your laptop.

It's systemd-boot. You were "that" close.

I can cut my boot time by maybe 10 seconds but that makes it a real pain in the ass to access the GRUB menu to boot up Windows or a recovery kernel. Since I only ever reboot to deal with certain package upgrades (kernel, systemd, kde, etc) or to switch the OS, making that part of the boot up a tiny bit faster isn't something I actually want to do since it makes it harder to use my computer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X