• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panda_Wrist
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    Is getting sued by Oracle on the list?
    Why would they? The CDDL is fine with GPL. It's GPL that isn't fine with CDDL.

Look at it this way (I'm not a lawyer). Add MIT code to a GPL project, that code then conforms to pretending to be GPL while in that project. So basically it's still all GPL. You can then remove that MIT code and put it in another project and that MIT code will just conform to whatever license that the new project has. The CDDL just wants to keep it's license when added to other code. The GPL does not like that. I love the GPL, our open source world would not be where it is today without it, but it is a very VERY restrictive license. This is why I hate it when people call the GPL the freedom license.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
    grub doesn't and most likely will never support half of zol's feature flags due to nih and licensing, it doesn't help that oracle devs are the gate keepers
    There is nothing stopping Canonical from doing downstream patches on top of whatever GRUB they ship. It's not like GRUB development speed would be an issue.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Is getting sued by Oracle on the list?

Leave a comment:

• some_canuck
    replied
    grub doesn't and most likely will never support half of zol's feature flags due to nih and licensing, it doesn't help that oracle devs are the gate keepers

Leave a comment:

• zexelon
    replied
    This one interests me a lot! I have never used ZFS but I have been following it for a long time and I am excited a top distro is working on bringing it to the forefront.

Right now I use LVM for everything, I have been looking to see how ZFS stacks up to it.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I'm sure they are going to fork ZFS eventually, because reasons.
    whilst taking all of the credit?

then drop it in 5 years time.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    I'd be interested in trying out zfs on my laptop if Ubuntu adds support for it out the box. However Ubuntu's NIH syndrome irritates me, e.g. snap/flatpak, ufw/firewalld.
    I'm sure they are going to fork ZFS eventually, because reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    I'd be interested in trying out zfs on my laptop if Ubuntu adds support for it out the box. However Ubuntu's NIH syndrome irritates me, e.g. snap/flatpak, ufw/firewalld.

Leave a comment:

• gorgone
    replied
    i hope this great work on zfs helps other projects like proxmox ... and 0.8 is a big step forward ssd support ,encryption, alot fixes for container on zfs backend like mssql / samba in lxd

Leave a comment:

• Ubuntu 19.10's ZFS TODO List Goes Public - A Lot To Of Work Left

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10's ZFS TODO List Goes Public - A Lot To Of Work Left

We've been quite eager to see what happens around Ubuntu 19.10's ZFS support with their plumbing this out-of-tree file-system into their new desktop installer and a lot of other Ubuntu happenings around ZFS. There is now at least a public TODO list/board outlining some of their ZFS work for the Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X