X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GdeR
    replied
    Originally posted by borovaka View Post

Why do you think it will be death? Because of IBM?
    I think I should have made this more clear. I meant my death. CentOS is getting released every 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• borovaka
    replied
    Originally posted by GdeR View Post
    Basically I don't use CentOS on my desktop because I can count how many releases I'm away from death. I'll be dead around CentOS 15 in the best scenario. It's only a bunch of releases away. That makes me sad. Really sad. That's basically why I tend to use Fedora.. or even Debian if I need some more reliability.
    Why do you think it will be death? Because of IBM?
    Recently Scientific Linux was discontinued, and they announce that - the development team will move to CentOS - so even if IBM do not have interest, we will have maintainers.

I never use CentOS for my Desktop ( prefer Fedora ), but for server usage I think this is the best choice for me.

Leave a comment:

• GdeR
    replied
    Basically I don't use CentOS on my desktop because I can count how many releases I'm away from death. I'll be dead around CentOS 15 in the best scenario. It's only a bunch of releases away. That makes me sad. Really sad. That's basically why I tend to use Fedora.. or even Debian if I need some more reliability.

Leave a comment:

• mroche
    replied
    EPEL 8 is aiming for completion by RHEL 8.1 (for those who don’t like clicking links). As for RPMFusion and ElRepo, they have to wait for EPEL to finish but they’ll probably work concurrently with the development. I’d guess it’d be accurate to say RHEL 8.2 will be fully functional with the community (if not shortly after 8.1).

Which, incidentally, is when people typically upgrade to the next RHEL version if they’re “early” adopters.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mroche; 06-04-2019, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PFee
    replied
    Originally posted by cynic View Post

That's the same things that RedHat does with Fedora.

AFAIK there's not an equivalent of CentOS in the SuSE world (ie: an almost 100% compatible rebuild).

I agree Leap isn't as close to SLES as CentOS is to RHEL. My take on the openSUSE variants:

Fedora -> Tumbleweed (also a rolling release model)
    CentOS -> Leap (SLE core, rebuilt from [mostly] the same source. Includes extra packages not in SLES, a bit like EPEL)
    RHEL -> SLES

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    Some details concerning EPEL 8 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infra...re_2020/EPEL-8

Leave a comment:

• eva2000
    replied
    wow EPEL 8 ~ October is a long way off if true !

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    Those of us who want to give 8 a try on the desktop also have to wait for EPEL and third party repos for multimedia stuff and other desktop applications. EPEL is expecting for October but I don't have any infos for RPMfusion and the like.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by PFee View Post
    Compare this to OpenSUSE Leap and SLES. Leap gets released a couple of months before SLES. Leap's not quite a free rebuild of SLES. Leap has more packages than SLES. However like CentOS, Leap is the free version whereas SLES (like RHEL) offers paid commercial support.

SLES likely benefits from Leap being release before hand, helping it to get more testing.
    That's the same things that RedHat does with Fedora.

AFAIK there's not an equivalent of CentOS in the SuSE world (ie: an almost 100% compatible rebuild).

Leave a comment:

• PFee
    replied
    Compare this to OpenSUSE Leap and SLES. Leap gets released a couple of months before SLES. Leap's not quite a free rebuild of SLES. Leap has more packages than SLES. However like CentOS, Leap is the free version whereas SLES (like RHEL) offers paid commercial support.

SLES likely benefits from Leap being release before hand, helping it to get more testing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X