Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS 8.0 Is Still Aiming To Be Out Hopefully In A Month Or Two

Phoronix: CentOS 8.0 Is Still Aiming To Be Out Hopefully In A Month Or Two

This week marks one month since the release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 while the community rebuild of RHEL 8.0 in the form of CentOS 8.0 will hopefully be out within a month or so...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope it won't take as long as CentOS 6
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Compare this to OpenSUSE Leap and SLES. Leap gets released a couple of months before SLES. Leap's not quite a free rebuild of SLES. Leap has more packages than SLES. However like CentOS, Leap is the free version whereas SLES (like RHEL) offers paid commercial support.

SLES likely benefits from Leap being release before hand, helping it to get more testing.

Comment

Originally posted by PFee View Post
        Compare this to OpenSUSE Leap and SLES. Leap gets released a couple of months before SLES. Leap's not quite a free rebuild of SLES. Leap has more packages than SLES. However like CentOS, Leap is the free version whereas SLES (like RHEL) offers paid commercial support.

SLES likely benefits from Leap being release before hand, helping it to get more testing.
        That's the same things that RedHat does with Fedora.

AFAIK there's not an equivalent of CentOS in the SuSE world (ie: an almost 100% compatible rebuild).

Comment

Those of us who want to give 8 a try on the desktop also have to wait for EPEL and third party repos for multimedia stuff and other desktop applications. EPEL is expecting for October but I don't have any infos for RPMfusion and the like.

Comment

wow EPEL 8 ~ October is a long way off if true !

Comment

Some details concerning EPEL 8 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infra...re_2020/EPEL-8

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

That's the same things that RedHat does with Fedora.

AFAIK there's not an equivalent of CentOS in the SuSE world (ie: an almost 100% compatible rebuild).

I agree Leap isn't as close to SLES as CentOS is to RHEL. My take on the openSUSE variants:

Fedora -> Tumbleweed (also a rolling release model)
                CentOS -> Leap (SLE core, rebuilt from [mostly] the same source. Includes extra packages not in SLES, a bit like EPEL)
                RHEL -> SLES

Comment

EPEL 8 is aiming for completion by RHEL 8.1 (for those who don’t like clicking links). As for RPMFusion and ElRepo, they have to wait for EPEL to finish but they’ll probably work concurrently with the development. I’d guess it’d be accurate to say RHEL 8.2 will be fully functional with the community (if not shortly after 8.1).

Which, incidentally, is when people typically upgrade to the next RHEL version if they’re “early” adopters.

Cheers,
                  Mike
                  Last edited by mroche; 04 June 2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Basically I don't use CentOS on my desktop because I can count how many releases I'm away from death. I'll be dead around CentOS 15 in the best scenario. It's only a bunch of releases away. That makes me sad. Really sad. That's basically why I tend to use Fedora.. or even Debian if I need some more reliability.

Comment

Working...
                    X