Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Is Performing Very Well On AMD EPYC

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Is Performing Very Well On AMD EPYC

OpenSUSE/SUSE has always tended to perform well on AMD hardware given the close collaboration between the two companies for many years on numerous fronts going back to the original Linux AMD64 kernel upbringing to the RadeonHD driver days, compiler collaboration, and numerous other activities between SUSE and AMD. With last week's release of openSUSE Leap 15.1, the performance on AMD EPYC servers is even more competitive thanks to various upgrades.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Is Performing Very Well On AMD EPYC

OpenSUSE/SUSE has always tended to perform well.....

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27919

Mike, any chance we can have a benchmark testing the mitigations toggle function in Yast Grub Panel that was introduced with Leap 15.1 (also in Tumbleweed) preferably with Intel (and maybe AMD) hardware to see what the performance gain is ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Mike, any chance we can have a benchmark testing the mitigations toggle function in Yast Grub Panel that was introduced with Leap 15.1 (also in Tumbleweed) preferably with Intel (and maybe AMD) hardware to see what the performance gain is ?

Thanks
      I've already done many mitigation comparison tests this month... The YaST toggle is the same as the kernel command line mitigations= auto/off/auto,nosmt options, so check out the various mitigation benchmarks this month for the latest numbers. The openSUSE mitigations really shouldn't be any different as using the same kernel patches.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

My understanding is SMT is still safe on AMD (Zen)? As it uses a different method from Intels and threads can only access their own cache on AMD?

Comment

Paradoxically, on my notebook Leap 15.1 is faster in the boot of both Tumbleweed and Ubuntu 18.04.2. But I believe that the fault lies with the kernel, since 4.8 (if I remember correctly) the boot times with the new kernels have increased, but I only notice it on the notebook, on my desktop I see no difference.

Comment

dav1d

Ubuntu: 186.97fps
            Clear: 139fps

1080p

Ubuntu: 565.62fps
            Clear: 509.07fps

Comment

Working...
            X