Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Adds Option To Installer For Toggling Performance-Hitting CPU Mitigations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Adds Option To Installer For Toggling Performance-Hitting CPU Mitigations

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Adds Option To Installer For Toggling Performance-Hitting CPU Mitigations

With the newly released openSUSE Leap 15.1 they have added an option to their installer for toggling the CPU mitigations around Spectre / Meltdown / Foreshadow / Zombieload to make it very convenient should you choose to retain maximum performance while foregoing the security measures. But it also allows disabling SMT/HT from the installer should you prefer maximum security...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...er-Mitigations

I've always like SuSE, nice work. Make SLES great again.

Comment

This is a very welcome change! Those mitigations make little sense if only trusted code will be executed.

Comment

This is good to see, and I'll bet they've built a YaST module too then, so you can make the same changes after installation.

Comment

Disable per-process page tables for additional performance : ☑

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
            I've always like SuSE, nice work. Make SLES great again.
            before ubuntu even existed, suse was ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
              Disable per-process page tables for additional performance : ☑
              At the risk of not being able to allocate memory after a few hours of uptime.

Let's run Linux on Amiga 1000

Comment

Nice to have such options to give user ability to select fast or secure. On some servers not connected to Internet it may be really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  This is a very welcome change! Those mitigations make little sense if only trusted code will be executed.
                  That's not the case. "Trusted" code can have security vulnerabilities.

Comment

I use openSUSE Tumbleweed with GNOME on an AMD computer

- Gnome (no Baloo)
                    - AMD (no expensive Spectre mitigation)
                    - XFS on the whole system (no Btrfs)

So I shouldn't have any major performance reductions compared to other distros and I also don't need to change the options for Spectre mitigation, is this right?

Comment

Working...
                    X