OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Released - Based Off SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Released - Based Off SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP1

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Released - Based Off SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP1

OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 is now available as the latest openSUSE released that is in turn based off SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 1 sources...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no GUI for upgrading...

here i am, using good old terminal with zypper... again... (like in the 90's...)

Comment

my god, over time I am failing to see any difference between distros. If only one of them really did something different, it would eat the entire market instantly.

Comment

Same kernel, same plasma version, what's the point ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

here i am, using good old terminal with zypper... again... (like in the 90's...)
          It has gui. But it is via USB/DVD as offline upgrade. Online upgrade via zypper is only for experienced and courageous users.

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...c.upgrade.yast
          Last edited by Leinad; 22 May 2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
            Same kernel, same plasma version, what's the point ?
            15.1 is service pack to 15.0. It focuses on newer kernel drivers and newer mesa for support contemporary hw, release minor updates and rebase DVD with installation fixes. Only some packages, like KDE applications or KDE frameworks have bigger updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

There was no zypper in the 90's. In the 90's, you would have been sitting with a box full of floppy disks, hoping that none of the floppies had errors and that rpm would not fail. Trust me, zypper dist upgrades are a thousand times more efficient than what we did in the 90's.

Comment

The distro i install for my family... Very stable and easy to maintain...

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
                  It has gui. But it is via USB/DVD as offline upgrade. Online upgrade via zypper is only for experienced and courageous users. https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...c.upgrade.yast
                  I've been doing it since forever with no problems. But still, for most users, the Ubuntu way is less scaring.

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

There was no zypper in the 90's. In the 90's, you would have been sitting with a box full of floppy disks, hoping that none of the floppies had errors and that rpm would not fail. Trust me, zypper dist upgrades are a thousand times more efficient than what we did in the 90's.
                  Yes, I know. It was just a way of speaking. An allusion to the times where everything had to be done from the terminal. In a way, I'm complaining that it's starting to look old. Ubuntu has a upgrade GUI since forever now.

but hey, on the plus side, at least there's a way to upgrade the OS. I didn't have that on my good old Speccy.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Floppies, luxury ! When I were a lad it were cassette tape.

Comment

Working...
                    X