Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 Benchmarks Against RHEL 7.6, Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS, Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregzeng
    replied
    There are two different & separate versions of "Clear OS". The Intel operating system: "Clear Linux* OS", with the asterisk punctuation. This seems very different from:
    (2) Clear Linux
    (3) ClearOS (USA)
    (4) Clear Linux OS (New Zealand)
    (5) Clear Linux 27900 (New Zealand, used by Distrowatch)
    (6) Clear Linux 29350 (Intel USA, used by Phoronix)

"Clear Linux* OS" is a wrong use of "*" (asterisk punctuation). Elsewhere in their Intel web site, they replace the asterisk "*" with the superscript "1". So the correct name should be (4) above: "Clear Linux OS". However this proper name "Clear Linux OS", is very often also written as "ClearOS". "Clear Linux" is quite a very different operating system.

"Clear Linux OS", based from the nation New Zealand, is based on Fedora, according to Distrowatch. "Clear Linux" comes from Intel, USA, but seems to be "independent". Distrowatch claims of "independent" is very alarming & inconsistent. Both use RPM (Red Hat) package managers, so are NOT independent, relying on RPM packages. According to Distrowatch, the "latest" is Clear Linux 27900. According to Phoronix, the latest is Clear Linux 29350.

Using Distrowatch, I compared the files inside the two operating systems, Clear Linux 27900 and Intel's ClearOS 7.6.0. Clear Linux 27900 has more user applications, such as Firefox 65.0.1. The "independence" claim is because the RPM-based operating systems cannot be safe with RPM-packages. So "kdenlive.rpm" (a third party video editor) is guaranteed to not run on most RPM-based operating systems. That is why we MIGHT use kdenlive in its appimage format.

The "Clear" operating system that is the fastest on the Phoronix bench tests seems to be Clear OS, the USA version of the two RPM operating systems. Check the article titled: "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 Benchmarks Against RHEL 7.6, Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS, Clear Linux". Here they are testing Intel "Clear Linux 29350" in their comparison bench tests.

It seems not at all surprising that this Intel generated operating system usually is the fastest Linux operating system, according to benchmarks. Other Phoronix tests also show that these performance ratings also work just a well with the AMD range of CPU's.
    Last edited by gregzeng; 18 May 2019, 10:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    The biggest problem I see, is the part where it uses Java. When will it die already? Why do enterprise app developers need a 4 core 16 GB vm to run an 'enterprise app' where all it does it parse and transform XML text??? A native app could do this on raspberry pi.
    Probably something to do with it being neigh impossible to segfault or coredump in Java.

Leave a comment:

• cen1
    replied
    None of you have written an "enterprise app" in your life, otherwise you wouldn't write such nonsense.. native app on rpi? Clearly trolling..

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    The biggest problem I see, is the part where it uses Java. When will it die already? Why do enterprise app developers need a 4 core 16 GB vm to run an 'enterprise app' where all it does it parse and transform XML text??? A native app could do this on raspberry pi.
    Careful you will get the natives excited.

Java is pretty much an example of bloat ware and then people write apps on top of it.

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied
    Not sure about the java tests but it looks like Ubuntu is the way to go for enterprise. Should also test vs SLES

RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu LTS or SLES.. can't imaging enterprise using anything else. (FreeBSD / Win2016 also see enterprise use.)
    Last edited by k1e0x; 13 May 2019, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I'd be more interested in how it does against the latest Fedora. Clear is not an apt comparison, as Clear can't do a fraction of what RHEL can.
    A Fedora comparison does make sense.
    But i'd keep Clear as it can be a good indication of what could be achieved...

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Holy crap, what's wrong with Java 11 on Ubuntu?
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 May 2019, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    I'd be more interested in how it does against the latest Fedora. Clear is not an apt comparison, as Clear can't do a fraction of what RHEL can.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and again roughtly aligned with Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Holy crap, what's wrong with Java 11 on Ubuntu?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X