No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Further Enhances Its Desktop Installer, Launches Help Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the GUI with Nvidia driver loaded. For a minute I thought it switched over to my Fedora system. I guess gdm is gdm.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Of course not, wintel conspiracy uses gnome3 to prevent the Linux desktop success.
      Intel supports KDE and your beloved Xfce. I can't believe you're trolling despite the Xfce support...

Comment

Originally posted by rstrube View Post

You are (sincerely) such an interesting person! I can't tell if you legitimately think there is a conspiracy or if you're just having a go at us and trying to stir us all up.

Personally I don't think Intel is trying to sabotage Linux, if so they would largely ignore the platform or make it difficult to use their hardware with it (binary blobs, etc.). They appear to be investing heavily in Linux - Clear Linux's performance improvements are tangible. They are very active contributors to Mesa, and their new GPUs will (most likely) have excellent Linux support from day 1. I know that you loathe Gnome and especially Wayland, but just because a company is investing in those technologies does not mean they're actively trying to sabotage Linux.

I asked you before in another thread - but you never answered. Why does it bother you so much when other user's choose to use a DE like Gnome? It seems almost personal for you. Xorg + XFCE will still be around 10+ years from now - they're not going anywhere!
        Also, Clear Linux supports Xfce, so he can choose that if he wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          finally a better installer. i wonder if you can install it with wireless network only. i know that text installer had no way to set the wifi network a few months ago and the live image never work for me. it use to get stuck after starting the installation without any error. does it support other DE than GNOME?
          Just did exactly that using the available Clear Linux desktop image. There's no actual step for connectivity in the installer, but just connecting via the Gnome live environment works. And yep, I did select additional packages / bundles to install. As Michael alludes to, it was all surprisingly easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The way their bundles are setup, that command pulls down a whole desktop plus anything that PTS commonly benchmarks. Hadn't known you were just battling NVIDIA driver issues but rather thought you were unsure how to install a desktop.
            What's the package size on this, Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by KillYourFM View Post

What's the package size on this, Michael?
              Not sure I ever bothered to look, but must be several Gigs as it includes everything from desktop to Darktable to GIMP to all the other programs commonly benchmarked... There is also an os-testsuite-phoronix-server I think is what they call it for just the command line / server benchmarks so obviously lighter weight.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Wishlist:

1) native Chromium + VAAPI build (LTO, PGO, + other possible Clear Linux optimizations)
                2) everything media related should just work (preferably out of the box, or make it super easy to get the needed packages if there are legal issues preventing that)
                3) As Ikey works for them again, is any more work on Steam integration incoming? His repo hasn't been updated for a while. Gaming is a big driver for new desktop users and that suits Clear LInux performance oriented approach very well. Any work which furthers the gaming experience on Linux is very welcome.
                4) Nice to have: An easy way to build the kernel and other performance sensitive packages from source (with Clear Linux patches applied) and let me specify my own custom compiler flags plus keeping these packages up-to-date.
                5) Offer several architecture-dependant builds for popular CPUs (next to the generic build and also for AMDs Ryzen+).
                Way to look a gift horse in the mouth. Intel is not a charity. Be thankful they're moving Linux forward significantly without asking them literally to hurt themselves by supporting architectures they don't sell. Like Arm. Or AMD. As per Phoronix AMD does well enough piggy-backing on Clear Linux anyway where Clear Linux beats other distros on AMD chips too.

There's a point at which you just have to be thankful for the (puhlenty) that you already got here.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Way to look a gift horse in the mouth. Intel is not a charity. Be thankful they're moving Linux forward significantly without asking them literally to hurt themselves by supporting architectures they don't sell. Like Arm. Or AMD. As per Phoronix AMD does well enough piggy-backing on Clear Linux anyway where Clear Linux beats other distros on AMD chips too.

There's a point at which you just have to be thankful for the (puhlenty) that you already got here.
                  Of course they are not a charity and this measure would be a nice gesture to the community and is not a hard requirement for my praise what they already did. But to provide you with a different perspective, it actually depends on their goals. I doubt that they see Clear Linux as a means to sell more CPUs to desktop consumers. At least not yet, as the market share of Linux on the desktop is negligable today. If they wanted to get a foothold into the OS arena and partner with other Linux friendly companies to further the Linux desktop market share, there could be even an incentive for them that it runs well on all x86 platforms, not just their own. AMD is furthering their X86 dominance after all in the data center and also in the desktop space on Windows. But if Windows struggles (and technologically it does), this could change if people find ARM/Linux combination more attractive. By the way, Intel was always the frontrunner in its ecosystem who did the low-level software work in the kernel, compilers, libraries etc. which also benefited AMD. Hence that piggy-backing was always there and always will be, and to a certain degree it is to the benefit of both (albeit more significant for AMD).

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Of course they are not a charity and this measure would be a nice gesture to the community and is not a hard requirement for my praise what they already did. But to provide you with a different perspective, it actually depends on their goals. I doubt that they see Clear Linux as a means to sell more CPUs to desktop consumers. At least not yet, as the market share of Linux on the desktop is negligable today. If they wanted to get a foothold into the OS arena and partner with other Linux friendly companies to further the Linux desktop market share, there could be even an incentive for them that it runs well on all x86 platforms, not just their own. AMD is furthering their X86 dominance after all in the data center and also in the desktop space on Windows. But if Windows struggles (and technologically it does), this could change if people find ARM/Linux combination more attractive. By the way, Intel was always the frontrunner in its ecosystem who did the low-level software work in the kernel, compilers, libraries etc. which also benefited AMD. Hence that piggy-backing was always there and always will be, and to a certain degree it is to the benefit of both (albeit more significant for AMD).
                    "Gesture to the community". Honestly I'm going to be blunt. The "community" has never had it so good. I grew up when software was *very expensive*, and that included the whole stack. Now you demand concessions from an excellent and already-free, yet expensively developed, piece of software, to go even further and literally shoot at itself by supporting other architectures. Then you point to all these hypotheticals about how giving away even more free stuff to the (already very spoiled) community might make them love you a little bit more. You've forgotten the wonderful world that you live in. It could be much much worse than this. Actually, we should all be paying a lot more money towards Open Source than we currently are. But No. We prefer to pay zero, and still ask for more to somehow build more goodwill from an entitled "community" that doesn't appreciate what it has.

Comment

I tried to install it on my MSI MEG Creation X399 / Threadripper 2950X and it just can´t find the NVMe´s Any help would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
                      X