Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian 10 "Buster" Currently Defaults To GNOME On Wayland, But That Still Could Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Majority does not use default in Debian, so whatever it will be... who cares

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      Should be default, the more people use it, the more bugs can be discovered and fixed.
      Good point, but that's not really the principle of Debian, or Ubuntu for that matter. Debian is meant to be stable (interpret that as you will) while Ubuntu is meant to be as compliant and compatible to as wide of an audience as possible. As much as I welcome Wayland with open arms, I don't see it suitable for Debian [stable] or Ubuntu LTS releases. However, I do think having Wayland by default is fine (if not a good idea) for Debian testing.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
        It should default to the future oriented Wayland and bugs should be fixed. The more people are using it, the more focus it will get from hardware vendors as well. People stuck in the past can manually change to X.org.
        That train of thought makes sense for bleeding edge distros, which is not the case of Debian.
        That said, we'll still be able to select Wayland during install...

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
          It should default to the future oriented Wayland and bugs should be fixed.
          The only future Wayland leads to is the trash bin.

Comment

Great move by Debian IMHO. We need more testers on Wayland implementations like Gnome etc, to iron out the remaining bugs and finally get a sane, modern desktop. It's ridiculous how bad X11 handles fullscreen windows in this day and age, due to it's old nature, for example. It's ridiculous tearing is STILL an issue in 2019 on X11. Problems I don't have on Wayland.

And yes, Wayland and it's implementations aren't without their own problems - which is why we need more people testing and reporting bugs, so developers know the most important things to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              At least they all agree on one long term supported desktop. Common interfaces are important.
              Sane and faster interfaces are more important.

Comment

Actually they had better to use XFCE4 and X.org as default choice... We really don't need another distro based on Gnome when there are already available Fedora, OpenSuse, PureOS, even GuixSD, Ubuntu and the all the *buntu derivates like POP_OS! or ZorinOS...

Comment

To stick with X11 might sound right for now from a stable point of view, but it doesn't make it right. Instead of leaning back, better get the remaining bugs fixed. He mentions just 2 or 3 in his blog, but no word about open X11 bugs or missing features, I mean really? And then there is the security aspect of it. Maybe they sleep well for now with the security holes of X11, but will they do in some years? Is there still than support from upstream to provide security fixes? It reminds me of their last security hole in their update procedure where https was still not yet the default, who could have thought that a secure network layer could have helped to prevent this. Basically all they need to decide is the default, probably most users wouldn't even notice using Wayland, and if they do and they could still select X11 in the login manager for corner cases. I wouldn't wonder to read next that Debian hired debianxfce to make their sane decisions.

Comment

I understand tradition.. I raise my pint glass to the setting sun.

But I enjoy change, I have been using unix since 89.. moved to slackware in 95. . Yes I deal with red hat on a day to day basis.
                    I like learning new things, It keeps me alive. throw it in front of me.. I will figure the fucker out.

I like wayland, I can dance with X11 all night long.

If you do not like change this is not the hobby/career for you.. Life is change.

You better start swimming or you will sink like a stone.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                      As long as they don't use XFCE, we can all agree that debianxfce is the worst
                      Amen. MATE all the way.

Comment

Working...
                      X