Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian 10 "Buster" Currently Defaults To GNOME On Wayland, But That Still Could Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I will use Xfce for Buster. But Mate is a strong contender. I like it lightweight, stable and simple. Will see how things evolve for Wayland with Debian Bulleyes...Then maybe Mate or even gnome-shell will be my choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Ribs View Post
      It's amazing to see, time and time again, that one troll is able to derail the discussion in the community every single time he appears. Every single time, without fail. He comes in, derails everything with hyperbole and outright lies sometimes (such as here: "Debian 9 & xfce is the best purely on memory usage alone"), and laps up the attention on offer. And every single time, this community falls for it and feeds the troll more and more. And this time he was virtually summoned, as if this was desired behavior, although I'm absolutely certain he would have appeared anyway.

Every single time I see the name, I see him in the middle of a keyboard warrior fight. Every time, without fail. No contribution, just fighting, anger, trolling, idiotic comments and absolutely no respect for the opinions of others.

One person is doing serious damage to this community. My account isn't new (August 2016) but I chose not to participate after setting it up, purely because every conversation turns into this horrible disrespectful mess. I doubt I'm the only one. And it seems this forums isn't moderated, as most wouldn't tolerate this behavior.

Maybe it's some weird inside joke I just don't understand. But for me the message is clear: stay away.
      Part of why I read these forums is because I find debianxfce hilarious. I bet Michael does too, lol

Comment

This remind me an harsh article from Italo Vignoli of LibreOffice against Apache Open Office, he stated that AOO was just a move from IBM to distract users from LOO and lead those to M$ Office.

Unfortunately the link is broken... http://www.italovignoli.com/files/st...officeeaoo.pdf (it was in Italian).

By the way now we are very OT...

Comment

Let's pretend for a second that debianxfce is not a troll. X has been busy removing features too: remember PEX, MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD, XC-APPGROUP, XPrint and others? But the problem are things like the old X11 rendering engine, xfs, xrdb, XtIntrinsics, Athena and heaps more of old useless garbage that no one needed in the last 20 years, but that Xorg developers must still carry or it would cease being X. In the meantime, the same backwards compatibility not only prevents them from fully implementing those features that modern users actually want, like proper HiDPI support, tear-free video or secure screen locking, but it also means that a number of known bugs and security issues are forever unfixable.

Comment

debianxfce I choose the same desktop as the XFCE founder Olivier Fourdan. Which also happen to be the default desktop almost everywhere.

BTW the XFCE founder is busy working not only on the default desktop but also Wayland.
            https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/413

His code beats your rants.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              Technically when XFCE4 is completely ported to the GTK3 (and it is pretty close to achieve it) should be automagically Wayland ready... Isn't it?
              No, because some things depend on X directly.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                IBM made RCU code that causes the Linux kernel to freeze with Ryzen.
                https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683
                Is it IBM fault that CPUs are buggy?

Comment

The Xfce desktop has simple and proper HiDPI support, you can change the DPI to 192 and use a HiDPI theme.
                  No it doesn't. Proper HiDPI support means that apps can scale dynamically and automatically, move from one physical screen to another and adjust as needed, etc. XFCE nor any other X-based desktop doesn't do that and will never do that. "Use a HiDPI theme" reminds me of the time when people asked if they could use mouse model XYZ with Linux and the answer was "sure you can, just plug it in and recompile your kernel".

The Xfce desktop is light and fast so there is no tearing except moving windows fast. By enabling the compositor it is totally tear free
                  No it's not; there is no vsync for full screen video except (partially) if full screen itself was composited, which it isn't, and if it was, you would just swap one problem for a bunch of other problems (increased latency, priority inversions etc.).

but the compositor slows down performance in desktops.
                  So by the same token I presume that you use a single tasking OS like MS-DOS because preemption has a performance cost too, right?

Make your computing environment safe so no need for screen locking. I have never used them in my decades of computing.
                  Whataboutery. Sometimes you need to use a computer in public spaces. Sometimes it's company requirement (ISO certification and similar garbage). Sometimes you use a laptop that needs to lock when you suspend it. Etc. By design it can't be done on X11; searching for convoluted strawman reasons why it sometimes may not be strictly needed is no excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    Is it IBM fault that CPUs are buggy?
                    In our friend's universe yes, it's IBM's fault. But I'm sure that the bug would just go away if only they were running Debian and XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

No it doesn't. Proper HiDPI support means that apps can scale dynamically and automatically, move from one physical screen to another and adjust as needed, etc. XFCE nor any other X-based desktop doesn't do that and will never do that. "Use a HiDPI theme" reminds me of the time when people asked if they could use mouse model XYZ with Linux and the answer was "sure you can, just plug it in and recompile your kernel".

No it's not; there is no vsync for full screen video except (partially) if full screen itself was composited, which it isn't, and if it was, you would just swap one problem for a bunch of other problems (increased latency, priority inversions etc.).

So by the same token I presume that you use a single tasking OS like MS-DOS because preemption has a performance cost too, right?

Whataboutery. Sometimes you need to use a computer in public spaces. Sometimes it's company requirement (ISO certification and similar garbage). Sometimes you use a laptop that needs to lock when you suspend it. Etc. By design it can't be done on X11; searching for convoluted strawman reasons why it sometimes may not be strictly needed is no excuse.
                      Please stop using facts to argue with distro desktop, he's done this shit for the last 4 years and he's just kept around for laughs.

Comment

Working...
                      X