Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 Reaches General Availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Not just fixes, but new features, and new hardware support as well.
    Correct. I think Red Hat (as an example) initially was going to support AMD Epyc in 6.x and AMD announced it as such. But the market showed most Epyc hardware was never going to run anything less than 7.x and the support was never released.

Comment

Great server OS, useless for desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        What's with everyone's fetish to use ancient software (Linux 4.18, really?) and keeping it up and running for way too many years? Linux has a stable release, and it's called stable for a reason.
        The older Kernel is not a fetish, it's a necessity. When you have server farms that run critical software that just can't stop and must be avaliable 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, i guess having a Kernel a few months older looks like a small price to pay in exchange for that essential stability.
        Also bear in mind that Red Hat heavily patches and backports a lot of stuff from newer Kernels into their versions, so don't be fooled by the version number.

Comment

Originally posted by trethlyn View Post
          I wish they offered Consumer subscriptions. I want to use RHEL but I don't want to pay $300 a year for a developer account. I know there's CentOS, I might need to give it a try again.
          Just wait for CentOS.

Comment

What's with everyone's fetish to use ancient software (Linux 4.18, really?) and keeping it up and running for way too many years? Linux has a stable release, and it's called stable for a reason.
            Enterprise company sysadmin: "Sir, we'd like to spend a week or two upgrading our hundreds of servers from the old stable release to the new stable release."
            Enterprise company executive: "Which feature we are planning to sell to customers requires the upgrade?"
            Enterprise company sysadmin: "None, it's just good practice to be up to date."
            Enterprise company executive: "Hell no."
            Sysadmin: "This is important, it should be a priority."
            Exec: "If you work on this instead of your other assigned tasks I will have you replaced. We need feature X to reach market as soon as possible because it will boost profits 3%."

Welcome to capitalism.

Comment

Why are they using kernel version 4.18, when version 4.19 is receiving longterm support from the Linux foundation? https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
                Why are they using kernel version 4.18, when version 4.19 is receiving longterm support from the Linux foundation? https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
                Red Hat maintains their own LTS kernels. They'll still support 2.6.18 if you pay them enough.

Comment

By the way, do you use Arch?

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin A. View Post

By the way, do you use Arch?

Comment

Not a problem if you have a staging environment. "testing in production" (which is what you're implying) should sound like your nightmare if you've even considered whether it's possible to do things right. I assume you consider deploying on Fridays to be a good idea, what are weekends anyway, right?
                      If your QA, functional and performance testing is fast enough to completely test deployments at a pace that can keep up with the latest kernel release, you do not have a system at the scale targeted by RedHat.

Comment

Working...
                      X