Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Achieved Even More Performance Improvements During April

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clear Linux Achieved Even More Performance Improvements During April

    Phoronix: Clear Linux Achieved Even More Performance Improvements During April

    While Clear Linux has been outperforming other Linux distributions the past several years, it's a never ending job for them of continuing to lead the way in squeezing more performance out of x86_64 hardware on Linux. During the month of April, some more performance improvements were achieved though also a few regressions appeared to have slipped into their builds...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...pril-2019-Perf

  • #2
    Using Clear Linux here but i can't compile the goddamn ffmpeg with x264 and x265 support because libx264-dev and libx265-dev aren't available on CL bundles and compiling x264 and x265 mannualy, ffmpeg can't find both on compile. Another thing is Firefox doens't play mp4 or gif files. This is annoying!

    Oh, i forgot: gnome don't show thumbnails.
    Last edited by Mario Junior; 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      No harmonic mean?

      Comment


      • #4
        Do these performance gains outweight the performance penalties of all the Meltdown patches?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
          Using Clear Linux here but i can't compile the goddamn ffmpeg with x264 and x265 support because libx264-dev and libx265-dev aren't available on CL bundles and compiling x264 and x265 mannualy, ffmpeg can't find both on compile. Another thing is Firefox doens't play mp4 or gif files. This is annoying!

          Oh, i forgot: gnome don't show thumbnails.
          You just discovered, it's easy to create a distro that's fast if you ignore the need for basic functionality.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

            You just discovered, it's easy to create a distro that's fast if you ignore the need for basic functionality.
            If you remove your operating system, you'll get the best case scenario where 0 CPU cycles are used to run it, it's so fast that it doesn't even have boot times, as your firmware will show an error rather than running your operating system.

            Comment


            • #7
              Mario Junior I'm waiting to use Clear when they don't expect their users to have to compile basic libraries to achieve basic functionality. I understand the legal issues of distributing proprietary codecs, but other distros have figured out how to separate free and non-free software, and until I can watch h254/265 videos on Firefox or mpv easily, it is not being installed on my computers. I would use it in a flash if this gets resolved! (I have a Haswell CPU and an AMD HD 7750 GPU -- not likely to be supported by Clear even when they do get ffmpeg issues resolved!)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
                Mario Junior I'm waiting to use Clear when they don't expect their users to have to compile basic libraries to achieve basic functionality. I understand the legal issues of distributing proprietary codecs, but other distros have figured out how to separate free and non-free software, and until I can watch h254/265 videos on Firefox or mpv easily, it is not being installed on my computers. I would use it in a flash if this gets resolved! (I have a Haswell CPU and an AMD HD 7750 GPU -- not likely to be supported by Clear even when they do get ffmpeg issues resolved!)
                That is one of the items I hope that Intel will address if they want to get a better foothold in the Linux desktop market. Chromium with VAAPI patches included is another. Thinking from the end user perspective and the best possible experience is the key here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  Using Clear Linux here but i can't compile the goddamn ffmpeg with x264 and x265 support because libx264-dev and libx265-dev aren't available on CL bundles and compiling x264 and x265 mannualy, ffmpeg can't find both on compile. Another thing is Firefox doens't play mp4 or gif files. This is annoying!
                  But it's so damn fast in artificial benchmarks, isn't that really what counts after all? Who needs software that is useful, all we need is our daily benchmark run!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ms178 View Post

                    That is one of the items I hope that Intel will address if they want to get a better foothold in the Linux desktop market. Chromium with VAAPI patches included is another. Thinking from the end user perspective and the best possible experience is the key here.
                    Clear Linux is more of a show-case distribution. Intel doesn't really have interest in investing in a zero return-on-invest market that the Linux desktop is.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X