Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Performance Is Moving In The Right Direction But A Lot Of Untapped Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

sse3 has existed since P4 (prescott) - Feb 2004
    sse4.2 has existed since Core i3/5/7 1st gen (nehalem) - Nov 2008

Time for you to upgrade to a faster system like a $10 arm sbc
    This is so funny! 😂😂😂😂😂.

A lot of people live live in the past. Not only are those ARM based boards faster they run on a few watts.

By the way somewhat guilty with a focus on the past, I just sent to recycling and old 80486 box. In any event modern operating systems really should require modern hardware, it is the leveraging of the hardware that leads to good performance.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    You not dare to compare my snappy operating system against those bloated systems.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis
    I have to assume you are trolling with your constant promotions of Debian+XFCE, but I will grant you one thing, I have 2 old laptops, one is a single core Sony and one is a dual core Dell with an Athlon X2, the first only has a gig of ram and the second has 2 gigs.

Neither one is fast enough to run a Gnome or KDE desktop and they barely run Peppermint OS or Lubuntu, but I decided to try Manjaro+XFCE on them and was surprised by how well they run, especially on the dual core, so i will grant you that XFCE, with the right distro underneath, can be a useful desktop for some old hardware.

But as far as Debian is concerned, its pure garbage and so is anyone that's associated with it, including it's users.

Leave a comment:

• lowlands
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post
    I wonder about the trade-off between security and performance. AFAIK fedora has 'harder' compile flags than ubuntu/clear linux, but I might be wrong.
    Yup, the _hardened_build flag was enabled for all builds in F23. Background of the change here:

Better safe than sorry :-)

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post
    SSSE3 is not the same thing as SSE3. The former was introduced a couple of years after the later.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Originally posted by pigpen View Post
    Clear is fast, but perhaps worth mentioning that it requires SIMD instructions (ssse3 & sse4_2). I like Fedora because of it's large set of leading edge packages and rpmfusion.
    sse4.2 has existed since Core i3/5/7 1st gen (nehalem) - Nov 2008

Time for you to upgrade to a faster system like a $10 arm sbc

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    Originally posted by pigpen View Post
    Clear is fast, but perhaps worth mentioning that it requires SIMD instructions (ssse3 & sse4_2).
    Which can be found on pretty much any processor from the last 10 years.
    Linux has always had great legacy hardware support, but it would be nice to have at least the option of using more optimized packages and such on at least 1 mainstream distro.
    If your hardware is that old you are probably not using the latest desktop version of Fedora anyway.

Leave a comment:

• pigpen
    replied
    Clear is fast, but perhaps worth mentioning that it requires SIMD instructions (ssse3 & sse4_2). I like Fedora because of it's large set of leading edge packages and rpmfusion.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
    My custom compiled gentoo system is much faster and leaner than your bloated debian system, outdated binary packages, systemd and a lot of other sjwdebian crapware.
    Do I need to turn myself in for punishment? I'm currently in the process of building the systemd-based desktop profile for my hobby project computer (an ancient Alpha 21164).

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    I wonder about the trade-off between security and performance. AFAIK fedora has 'harder' compile flags than ubuntu/clear linux, but I might be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• diazbastian
    replied
    I would like to see these tests when Silverblue 30 is released. It is supposed to have optimizations focused on Workstation since it does not share the same base image with which the versions for Servers/IoT/Cloud are built.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X