Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Performance Is Moving In The Right Direction But A Lot Of Untapped Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30 Performance Is Moving In The Right Direction But A Lot Of Untapped Potential

Phoronix: Fedora 30 Performance Is Moving In The Right Direction But A Lot Of Untapped Potential

Yesterday we began with our preliminary performance benchmarks of Fedora 30. From those results Intel Core i9 and AMD Threadripper systems and what we're seeing on other systems in the labs, Fedora 30 indeed is coming out generally slightly faster than Fedora 29 when looking at the performance overall. In some cases the performance is much better thanks to GCC 9 and other upgrades, but overall it's a small, modest performance improvement. While that's better than seeing Fedora 30 running slower than its predecessor, there still is more potential to squeeze out of the system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    You not dare to compare my snappy operating system against those bloated systems.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis
    Could look like it is from this decade instead of the previous one?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      You not dare to compare my snappy operating system against those bloated systems.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis
      My custom compiled gentoo system is much faster and leaner than your bloated debian system, outdated binary packages, systemd and a lot of other sjwdebian crapware.
      Also, imagine being an adult and caring this much about gaming, some people want to do actual work on their computers instead of living in their moms basement.

Comment

I'm impressed with Ubuntu's result, I could tell 19.04 felt good but its great to see some real numbers.

Comment

I would like to see these tests when Silverblue 30 is released. It is supposed to have optimizations focused on Workstation since it does not share the same base image with which the versions for Servers/IoT/Cloud are built.

Comment

I wonder about the trade-off between security and performance. AFAIK fedora has 'harder' compile flags than ubuntu/clear linux, but I might be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
              My custom compiled gentoo system is much faster and leaner than your bloated debian system, outdated binary packages, systemd and a lot of other sjwdebian crapware.
              Do I need to turn myself in for punishment? I'm currently in the process of building the systemd-based desktop profile for my hobby project computer (an ancient Alpha 21164).

Comment

Clear is fast, but perhaps worth mentioning that it requires SIMD instructions (ssse3 & sse4_2). I like Fedora because of it's large set of leading edge packages and rpmfusion.

Comment

Originally posted by pigpen View Post
                  Clear is fast, but perhaps worth mentioning that it requires SIMD instructions (ssse3 & sse4_2).
                  Which can be found on pretty much any processor from the last 10 years.
                  Linux has always had great legacy hardware support, but it would be nice to have at least the option of using more optimized packages and such on at least 1 mainstream distro.
                  If your hardware is that old you are probably not using the latest desktop version of Fedora anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pigpen View Post
                    Clear is fast, but perhaps worth mentioning that it requires SIMD instructions (ssse3 & sse4_2). I like Fedora because of it's large set of leading edge packages and rpmfusion.
                    sse3 has existed since P4 (prescott) - Feb 2004
                    sse4.2 has existed since Core i3/5/7 1st gen (nehalem) - Nov 2008

Time for you to upgrade to a faster system like a $10 arm sbc

Comment

Working...
                    X