No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Now Available With GNOME 3.32, Flicker-Free Boot, Zchunk Metadata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lot of kneejerk nonsense on this thread from people who apparently run Linux on 486 machines with 512 meg's of RAM using Lynx.

It's ALL icons and little boxes, just in different places. "Dislike" is not synonymous with "bad".

Comment

Fedora 30 runs quite well; I recently migrated from Fedora 29 to Fedora 30 with no obvious installation or packaging issues.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
        Lot of kneejerk nonsense on this thread from people who apparently run Linux on 486 machines with 512 meg's of RAM using Lynx.
        Gnome 3 doesn't work well on old systems and it doesn't work well on good systems either. And prior to mid 2018 didn't work well on much of anything due to the massive memory leaks (> 5GB/day for me) up until then.

My system is an i7, 32gb ram, with 3x 4K monitors in portrait mode.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

Gnome 3 doesn't work well on old systems and it doesn't work well on good systems either. And prior to mid 2018 didn't work well on much of anything due to the massive memory leaks (> 5GB/day for me) up until then.

My system is an i7, 32gb ram, with 3x 4K monitors in portrait mode.
          You can't generalize your own experience to everyone.

I've been running Fedora and Gnome 3 on Dell XPS laptops since 2014 and never had major problems with it. First a Dell m3800 (OK, not an XPS, but pretty much identical) then an XPS 15. 4K displays, and I always used an external 4K as another monitor. I usually disabled the Nvidia chip and used Wayland since Fedora 25.

I also run it on my Linux NAS (built my own with a Ryzen and ECC) when I log into it, and on this Raptor Talos II I'm posting this on. Both of those use AMD graphics.

On all four of those systems Gnome 3 has worked very well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
            You can't generalize your own experience to everyone.
            If you have been paying attention to Phoronix for a while you will know there was a huge memory leak in Gnome for a very long time. It was big news at the time it was finally tracked down, from what I recall gnome shell leaked memory every time you exposed the menu/dash due to problems with it's javascript garbage collection. Since I actually use my system for work, all day everyday, it was leaking > 5GB/day. Although 5/32 is less than 20% something likely related to memory handling / the leak made gnome-shell run extremely slow as well once it got to that point.

With how bad the leak was, Gnome 'users' at least at that point probably didn't actually use their system much if they weren't affected by the colossal memory leak.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...emory-Leak-Fix

This goes into more technical details:

https://feaneron.com/2018/04/20/the-...l-memory-leak/
            Last edited by calc; 05 May 2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

With how bad the leak was, Gnome 'users' at least at that point probably didn't actually use their system much if they weren't affected by the colossal memory leak.
              Yes I was aware of the memory leak. In my cases, it was trivial. I had to reboot for kernel updates faster than that leak caused problems.

It was much worse for Nvidia users, and I wasn't using Nvidia. I also don't generally open things with the Gnome shell during the work day. I autolaunch everything I need at login and use Control-Shift-T and N to get more gnome-terminal tabs and windows.

So for me the "colossal" memory leak was a few megabytes a day. Out of 16 GB. I think the very biggest my gnome-shell expanded to was about 4 GB and never got bigger than that.

Comment

Not bad, seems to be running fast enough

Comment

Working...
                X