No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Now Available With GNOME 3.32, Flicker-Free Boot, Zchunk Metadata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, I'm sorry for some of the rude comments here. Totally uncalled for.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Fedora 30 has shipped ...
      Woo, now I can finally upgrade to Fedora 29!

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Yeah. Solus gnome uses Wayland. I don't know what the hell is wrong on Fedora.
        NVIDIA user? I tried a few distros (except Solus) with GNOME and the performance is quite similar between them.

If I try Solus right now and don't see the jump in performance you're suggesting I will come back here and face fuck you.

Comment

all good and stuffs.. but.. where tha hell is my fedora deepin spin iso? o.O

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

NVIDIA user? I tried a few distros (except Solus) with GNOME and the performance is quite similar between them.

If I try Solus right now and don't see the jump in performance you're suggesting I will come back here and face fuck you.
            lol no, I'm a AMD user (RX570). Also I recommend budgie version.
            Last edited by Mario Junior; 01 May 2019, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              lol, the amount of anti-Fedora trolls is quite amusing to see, what a bunch of nonsense.
              Yep. You can see where the stereotype ( of a fat, perpetually sick, late-20's incel, sitting in his parents' basement ) comes from. Trolling is all they've got.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

We are constantly looking at ways to improve the GNOME user experience in Fedora, and we do look at user comments and reviews to gather feedback to use for future improvements. But for us to be able to do anything the feedback needs to be a lot more concrete and constructive than this, atm all one can deduce here is some weird contradictory statement of about the DE feeling old fashioned combined with a wish to switch to a desktop aiming to be more old fashioned.
                GNOME itself is the problem not how its packaged for Fedora specifically.

Its more of the same old brain-damaged Windows 8 tablet design idea. Even Microsoft quickly determined that was a failed experiment and tried to forget Windows 8 ever existed.

It also has very poor multi-monitor support, much worse than Gnome 2, and worse than pretty much any other DE available. There has been a gnome-shell BZ open for years about the issue. This is particularly annoying since nearly every desktop/laptop system sold in the past 20 years supports 2-6 monitors out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post
                  GNOME itself is the problem not how its packaged for Fedora specifically.
                  I am completely satisfied with GNOME, which perfectly fits my needs. You have to stop projecting your own desires on all users.

Comment

Originally posted by Okki View Post

I am completely satisfied with GNOME, which perfectly fits my needs. You have to stop projecting your own desires on all users.
                    Apparently found the one user who liked Windows 8 (and Gnome 3).

Comment

ChristianSchaller I though I'd try to be as objective as possible about voicing the reasons that I don't like Gnome/GTK3 as well as why I don't use Fedora.

Like calc said, the problem isn't how Fedora packages Gnome, it's how Gnome operates by default regardless of distribution. Some people like it, some of us don't, damn near all of us "don't's" would be covered if a handful of the most popular plugins were integrated into Gnome (preferably in a way that mimics how Plasma or XFCE work since we're the users y'all are trying to get).

FWIW, if I see that Gnome is a distribution's main/preferred desktop, I pass. The reason is, well, I just assume I'll get better Plasma support with a distribution that considers Plasma to be it's main/preferred desktop. Take Fedora and getfedora.org -- click on Workstation's Download and it takes you to the screen with the default Fedora version, net installs, Silverblue...spins with KDE and whatnot require one to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the spins link bottom right corner...very, very easy to miss being tucked away like that and, because of that, it's easy to assume they won't be as supported -- a Fedora dev here let me know that they are just as supported as Gnome; I'm just showing how that assumption can be made due to where they're located and how un-prominent they're "advertised" on the download page. IMHO, the Fedora team needs to take a look at Manjaro's download page and emulate that in a way that works with Fedora.

The biggest reason I don't care for Gnome is that, out of the box, Gnome needs 3rd party plugins to be usable for me. How am I supposed to know if some random person is going to keep up with their plugin? The last time I ran Gnome it was 3.26, the 3.28 update came, and two months later in I went back to Plasma because I was still waiting on plugins to be updated.

With Plasma, all I really have to change is the start menu to a more simplified one (included; called Application Menu) and to tweak a few of the default shortcuts (like alt+. to ctrl+h for hidden stuff, GTFO with that alt+. crap)...but everything I need to run my system is part of Plasma. Something, something, XFCE, Budgie, Mate, Cinnamon, Deepin, Enlightenment, something, something, don't need plugins either.

I use a 49" 1080p TV as my monitor. GTK3 and Gnome waste too much screen space with the hybrid touch/mouse layout; especially so on large screen and/or high dpi monitors. They really need a compact layout option designed around using a mouse. A tiled mode would be nice as well (FWIW, Plasma needs a better one).

Full screen app launchers suck and are very jarring to my workflow. IMHO, they make no sense on a desktop or anything with a 13" screen or larger. Really annoying when your terminal and text editor minimize when you launch a calculator...as annoying as that full screen calculator on Windows 10. A simple taskbar and app launcher would fix both of those.

I'm also not the biggest fan of just typing to find what program I'm needing. I tend to forget how to exactly spell something or what it's called....especially with how KDE and Gnome like to put a damn G or K before every name. Name stuff normally, dammit...at least that's getting better...

Currently my left wrist is shot and I'm having to take 5 min breaks every other sentence. I lifted a 150lb stump into the back of my truck and pulled a muscle. I mention that because the way Gnome expects one to be a keyboard warrior for everything would make it damn-near impossible for me to comfortably use my computer like I can with all those other desktops with just a mouse. Not everyone can physically use a keyboard like how Gnome expects and that makes Gnome a very bad choice for someone with disabilities. Never realized it until now, but Gnome is kind of ablest in that regard.

I honestly assume that the reason we're having all these Gnome-based desktops come out is because a lot of us just don't like Gnome in its default state, yet Gnome is being pushed everywhere so it makes a decent framework to start from (combined with Plasma still suffering from a bad reputation as this bloated, resource hog of a desktop from the 5.4- and 4.x days). Deepin and Budgie take Gnome technologies and turn them into what Gnome should/could be for the average, non-touchscreen using, person.

I do have to add....the biggest reason I don't use Fedora is, well, way, way, WAY, WAY back when there was only Red Hat, damn did I had some bad luck with distribution updates. That's a very dumbass reason with how long ago that was, but I thought it was worth mentioning since, to this day, I still dislike using distributions that operate in such a manner. Basically, I'd love it if y'all would consider a rolling release model that went something like Unstable > Testing > Rolling Stable > Latest Fedora Version Testing > Latest Fedora Version Stable. I guess that would be "mimic Suse". As long as there is a bit of a buffer, I don't mind being a rolling release guinea pig.

Thanks for taking the time to bother reading that massive wall of text and for even caring enough to ask us for our opinions.

Comment

Working...
                      X