No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Is Performing Great - Intel Core i9 & AMD Threadripper Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely think Debian needs a lot of work to catch up with RPM based distros. It has historically been reliable but was later than competitors on sane multi-lib support and dependency resolution can be hit or miss. To throw a dart at openSUSE I do get tired of the "4 bad options" at any conflict. At least they give me the options though.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
      I definitely think Debian needs a lot of work to catch up with RPM based distros. It has historically been reliable but was later than competitors on sane multi-lib support and dependency resolution can be hit or miss. To throw a dart at openSUSE I do get tired of the "4 bad options" at any conflict. At least they give me the options though.
      I like that option 1 is usually "Don't do this stupid thing you are trying to do", and options 3 & 4 are usually "OK, go ahead and destroy your system, but don't say we didn't warn you".

Comment

Yeah the only saving grace of Debian-based distros is the software library, cause APT/dpkg is utter shit. No wonder they're pushing Snap/Flatpak so hard.

Still, there's nothing I miss from the Fedora repos, stuff like icon/cursor packs and widget themes are better in the home dir anyway. OpenSUSE is a lot worse software-wise and the way Yast manages dependencies is absolutely fucking retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
          Yeah the only saving grace of Debian-based distros is the software library, cause APT/dpkg is utter shit. No wonder they're pushing Snap/Flatpak so hard.

Still, there's nothing I miss from the Fedora repos, stuff like icon/cursor packs and widget themes are better in the home dir anyway. OpenSUSE is a lot worse software-wise and the way Yast manages dependencies is absolutely fucking retarded.
          Never heard of snap or flatpak ever being pushed in Debian. And YaST is not even recommended by openSUSE themselves for most package management functions. Especially updates. Not real clear what you are talking about in either case.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            Not real clear what you are talking about in either case.
            I'm really sorry for your lack of intelligence but that's not something I can help you with.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian has most of the software packages, over 51K. Debian has most fast servers around the world. Apt/dpkg is fastest way to distribute software reliably. Debian has the resources to dependencies to work. Debian is not pushing snap/flatpak. Ubuntu is not Debian.
              I think you are right that some here equate Debian to Ubuntu. I've never heard anyone pushing flatpaks or snaps for Debian, and almost never hear anyone having to get anything from a PPA. But some of the comments here would lead one to believe that these are Debian's problems, not Ubuntu's.

Comment

while not fedora specific -- I have seen loads of issues as well when third party "trusted" repos are used. In this case with RHEL and EPEL.
                YUM has long standing issues with extreme slowness, multilib errors, inabilities to update systems without "some work".

I did search also for the issues with DNF and that still seems to be the case if I recall it well enough (multilib).

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  These benchmarks look enticing. Might be worth trying again.

In the past, I found that the large number of needed packages missing from its repository meant that you had to go with 3rd party repositories or sources, and that those quickly led to broken dependencies. Probably the worst of the major distros at handling dependencies for anything from outside of its walled garden in my experience. An area where Debian really shines.
                  100% right and one of the biggest reasons why Fedora is one of the worst distros currently available.

In fact, Manjaro, with the Arch repositories enabled, is the absolute best distro I have seen for finding software and getting it to work easily and the distro that finally made me leave Ubuntu behind.

Once you go Manjaro, who never go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                    Once you go Manjaro, who never go back.
                    That's exactly how I feel about Solus

Comment

Working...
                    X