Scientific Linux 6/7 Will Remain Supported But The Distribution Is Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Not quite. Firefox 60 is still supported, since it's the current extended-support release, but it's just a support branch of a version that's nearly a year old now
    Yes, very true. The "current" esr is still old for most people
    That said, it still classifies itself as "Firefox Quantum" in the about page which means it has the rust renderer in it? Possibly with this work in place, it wouldn't be too difficult to patch the source rpm to push it a little bit closer to the current non esr version (66).

Either way, I don't really care. It plays youtube videos and runs Javascript without any stupid pauses and that is about as far as I need in a browser.
    Interestingly the very latest RHEL6 Chromium doesn't play videos that well but does render busy javascript sites much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      Its very Sad,
      To see CERN each time more dependent on RedHat or IBM now..
      With Devuan, void Linux, Suse Linux,Ubuntu and others around.. its dependence on RedHat its a strategical problem..
      Yeah, they should've stuck to NeXT

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Eh? 99% of the work they were wasting their time on, as CentOS does it too. They like compatibility with RHEL.
        I'm glad instead of focusing on maintaining a distribution, they can get some more science done.
        More or less true,
        There were some nice packages in the CERN repos, that we could use, freeing us from RedHat plague, and sometimes unsupported Midlewars( In some RedHat versions.. I am saying this because...I just know.. )..
        This packages were present at CERN..

But my comment goes much further..
        When I say the they were trying to be independent from big Corporations...I mean it.

Even with a team of people around compilation and packaging Sources from CentOS or another's around,( also with a security role in mind, which is very important in CERN...its the Biggest Global-cluster of Nuclear Research in the World by far.. )..
        IF a corporation started "playing smart"( it already happened with RedHat, at least once.. ), they could shift to another sources around, and adapt..

Because they had a team for that..
        With the current developments, without this team, they are completely at the wolves mercy..
        That its the part I was referring too..
        As a European Guy, I prise a lot independence, any company should prise it too.

Seems that CERN is shooting their OWN foots..making checkmate on themselves..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

More or less true,
          There were some nice packages in the CERN repos, that we could use, freeing us from RedHat plague, and sometimes unsupported Midlewars( In some RedHat versions.. I am saying this because...I just know.. )..
          This packages were present at CERN..

But my comment goes much further..
          When I say the they were trying to be independent from big Corporations...I mean it.

Even with a team of people around compilation and packaging Sources from CentOS or another's around,( also with a security role in mind, which is very important in CERN...its the Biggest Global-cluster of Nuclear Research in the World by far.. )..
          IF a corporation started "playing smart"( it already happened with RedHat, at least once.. ), they could shift to another sources around, and adapt..

Because they had a team for that..
          With the current developments, without this team, they are completely at the wolves mercy..
          That its the part I was referring too..
          As a European Guy, I prise a lot independence, any company should prise it too.

Seems that CERN is shooting their OWN foots..making checkmate on themselves..
          You make zero sense.

CERN already uses RHEL. It's supported for years and prioritises stability over features. SL/CentOS they develop for applications where they don't need RHs support but want compatibility with RHEL. If you wanted to make sense perhaps you shouldn't of started with "RedHat plague".

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            That said, it still classifies itself as "Firefox Quantum" in the about page which means it has the rust renderer in it? Possibly with this work in place, it wouldn't be too difficult to patch the source rpm to push it a little bit closer to the current non esr version (66).
            The first round of "Quantum" changes was in 57, from memory... so yeah, the ESR does have a reasonably modern engine. But you wouldn't try patching it... it's still a 12-month old branch of a code base that's continued to change a lot over that time. If you need a newer Firefox, it's trivial to just install your own copy instead of the system version... that's what I do on my CentOS VM at work.

Comment

CERN already uses RHEL. It's supported for years and prioritises stability over features. SL/CentOS they develop for applications where they don't need RHs support but want compatibility with RHEL. If you wanted to make sense perhaps you shouldn't of started with "RedHat plague".
              Yes RedHat was used, and because its dependence on it, CERN become too dependent of it..
              Some years Ago, RedHat exploited that, in the contracts..

Scientific Linux Born Exactly because of that..
              Now without it.. we will see what comes next..
              but this not not good for CERN..

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                I know Maya was difficult when I tried.
                Ayy, CG guy here myself (Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Substance, Fusion, Katana, etc) I tried Maya on F29 and it worked pretty well. There are a few minor blips that were easily solvable, but I can't remember what they were. Nuke just needed to have LD_PRELOAD pointing to the system libstdc++.so.6 otherwise it would fritz, but that's documented in the forums. I run a small renderfarm cluster, the management VM's are RHEL 7 and the nodes themselves all run CentOS 7.

A CentOS 7 user myself, I understand the position the stability over newness. The HPC cluster I work on is RHEL 6 based, but will migrate to 7 over the summer. RHEL/CentOS 7.6 is rock solid at the moment, and paired with EPEL/RPM Fusion/ElRepo you can get a fairly modern desktop and still retain stability. However, if you're waiting for the locked down stability RHEL 7 will be entering phase two of its development cycle late this year/early next year. So it may be time to consider switching or test on another drive

I'm not sure which dev tools are made available to the RHEL 6 users, but with RHEL 7 we get GCC 6/7/8, Clang 5/6/7, and the close to latest CMake3 is in EPEL (cmake2 in base). The llvm-toolset-x.0 kits (new way of pushing devtools for Go/Clang/Rust) also include cmake 3.6.2. The llvm sets don't include libc++, however. You'll need to build LLVM/Clang from source for that (likely twice to remove the dependency on libstdc++).

RHEL 7 is a really solid platform to mess around with, I highly recommend. I'm going to be switching my desktop from CentOS to RHEL, though, through the developer license as I'm getting tired of waiting on the re-release of material, specifically the devtools.

Cheers,
                Mike
                Last edited by mroche; 24 April 2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Debianxfce is that you?
                  I am not concerned. The cost of maintaining a distribution is quite costly. There is the hosting, the mailing lists, the bug reporting and fixing.
                  I say that there will be a migration of in-house applications to rpmfusion.org. The benefit will be in quickness that security flaws are report and corrected.

And for your LibreOffice and other concerns. It will be their released versions at the time that Centos8 is in application FREEZE.

I am not apprehensive that there is a worse situation, but in fact an exchange of 4 quarters (American) for a dollar(American)

Comment

Working...
                  X