No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.04 Released As A Big Linux Desktop Improvement Thanks To GNOME 3.32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.04 Released As A Big Linux Desktop Improvement Thanks To GNOME 3.32

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.04 Released As A Big Linux Desktop Improvement Thanks To GNOME 3.32

The Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" has been officially released as the latest non-LTS, six-month installment to Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a stupid title. It may be an improvement over previous Gnome, but that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post
      What a stupid title. It may be an improvement over previous Gnome, but that's all.
      When I had my Gnome update to 3.32 in my Antergos install running in VirtualBox, I could totally sense the performance improvements. There was claims of more smoothness, etc., and my personal experience is that they were right. Actually a pretty big release on that front it seems, and should pay off going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post
        Not really. Gnome is Ubuntu's desktop. It getting better means Ubuntu gets better. Saying that isn't misleading at all; especially if you're Michael and you have the numbers to back it up. A lot of Phoronix users that use Gnome have been raving about 3.32 so Ubuntu using it is probably a good thing and is something people might want to know.

Comment

I manually installed Kernel 5.0 on Kubuntu 18.10, thus I am not getting any Kernel Updates atm.
          Can I still upgrade to 19.04 or will there be Problems?

I want to go back to the regular Ubuntu Kernel. Only installed 5.0 for testing with freesync
          Last edited by Morbis55; 18 April 2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Gnome is disgusting crap. I used to be on XFCe4 and then went Enlightenment only to recently decide to try Gnome and see what changed during past few years andf to see that coveted Wayland integration...

Pure pukefest.

For me, nothing comes close to Enlightenment, for all its flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
              Gnome is disgusting crap. I used to be on XFCe4 and then went Enlightenment only to recently decide to try Gnome and see what changed during past few years andf to see that coveted Wayland integration...

Pure pukefest.

For me, nothing comes close to Enlightenment, for all its flaws.
              What is Enlightenment?

As soon as one of my Zorin builds updated to Gnome 3.32, I noticed it right away. Then 2 of my VM's updated and I could tell there as well.

Mostly in graphics response. I wasn't expecting a major UI change in a point release.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                I manually installed Kernel 5.0 on Kubuntu 18.10, thus I am not getting any Kernel Updates atm.
                Can I still upgrade to 19.04 or will there be Problems?

I want to go back to the regular Ubuntu Kernel. Only installed 5.0 for testing with freesync
                You should be fine. The ubuntu kernel will probably still update just fine (I'm assuming you didn't uninstall the Ubuntu stock kernel), although your system may still default to booting the 5.0 kernel you installed.

After your upgrade is complete, just select the ubuntu kernel from your grub boot loader menu and after you've confirmed it's working, go and uninstall the one you manually installed.

Comment

That theme and setup definitely looks nicer than the vanilla Gnome. Also the performance improvements only came after Ubuntu got on board. Looks like Ubuntu's team pays enough attention to polishing.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

What is Enlightenment?

As soon as one of my Zorin builds updated to Gnome 3.32, I noticed it right away. Then 2 of my VM's updated and I could tell there as well.

Mostly in graphics response. I wasn't expecting a major UI change in a point release.

Yep, it's a very important improvement indeed. Still, not good enough I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                    X