Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikelpr
    replied
    I like the new wallpaper tbh. not the beta (which was cheapo), but the final one (which my beta install has already updated to)

Leave a comment:

• ThanosApostolou
    replied
    I moved my laptop from arch to Fedora 30 beta a few days ago. I totally love it and I will replace arch with fedora 30 at my desktop pc too in the next few days. It seems like a great release.

One thing I was never able to understood with fedora is selinux. I had too many selinux reports at every boot (mostly with snapd but with other software too). I first changed it to permissive mode, but it was getting annoying so I just disabled it completely. I will probably re enable it at some point when I'll have more free time and try to fix those issues and do bug reports for what I will believe that should be allowed by default. It would be nice if fedora had selinux configured it to be more relaxed by default (I've never had problems with apparmor at ubuntu).

Anyway, I am happy to be a fedora user from now on, I will probably move to Silverblue at some point (maybe 1-2 years from now).

Leave a comment:

• erik83
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

My goodness. I didn't think it was possible to look worse than Fedora 26 wallpaper. Or the jellyfish - what was that, 28? But this takes it to a whole new level of hideous.
    Does it matter when there's a ton of really cool supplemental wallpapers? Personally I love the "I see stars" wallpaper.

My Fedora 30 Desktop

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

My goodness. I didn't think it was possible to look worse than Fedora 26 wallpaper. Or the jellyfish - what was that, 28? But this takes it to a whole new level of hideous.
    F28 had an optical fiber thing which looked pretty professional in my opinion.

I agree that this one is looking pretty gross.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    Not trying to troll here but, I always wondered why none of the "big" distros pick up KDE as an officially supported desktop? Like, who's KDE really? KDE Neon? Kubuntu? is OpenSuSe really a KDE official guy? and by official I mean, they actually support the environment and block releases based on it.

Arch is neutral, Debian is neutral, but then Ubuntu, Fedora are Gnome guys. Manjaro, OpenMX is XFCE (I guess), then you have cool dudes like budgie or mint with Cinnamon
    Manjaro's flagship editions are KDE, XFCE, Gnome, and Architect (bare bones). There's an assload of community editions . They also have XFCE and KDE development preview editions.

KDE being one of their flagships is a big reason why I'm a Manjaro user. Stable, runs well, not overloaded with daily updates like on Arch, no major overhaul upgrades like with Ubuntu or Fedora -- it suites all my needs very well and I honestly feel bad giving them a review the middle of a Fedora thread.

To help answer your question, here's what KDE has to say on what to use when developing and contributing to KDE:
    While any operating system can be used to patch or develop KDE software, it's easiest if you use a Linux distribution that provides relatively recent versions of Qt and KDE Frameworks, such as KDE Neon, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch/Antergos/Manjaro, Fedora, or non-LTS versions of Ubuntu.
    Now knowing that the KDE Spin of Fedora is supported along with it being one of the KDE recommends makes me want to give 30 a shot when it's ready...my only real concern is that eventually 31 will be released and I'll have to do a dreaded distribution upgrade .

Leave a comment:

• JeansenVaars
    replied
    Not trying to troll here but, I always wondered why none of the "big" distros pick up KDE as an officially supported desktop? Like, who's KDE really? KDE Neon? Kubuntu? is OpenSuSe really a KDE official guy? and by official I mean, they actually support the environment and block releases based on it.

Arch is neutral, Debian is neutral, but then Ubuntu, Fedora are Gnome guys. Manjaro, OpenMX is XFCE (I guess), then you have cool dudes like budgie or mint with Cinnamon
    Last edited by JeansenVaars; 16 April 2019, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Note that Fedora KDE packages have been supported by the larger community of volunteers as well as some Red Hat developers for a long time. Spins are also official and in particular KDE is part of the QA blocker bugs process along with GNOME
    I'm so used to things like "Spins" being considered as unofficial editions or community editions that I just assumed that was the case here. Thanks for taking the time to let me know otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• veeableful
    replied
    Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Fedora works perfectly on my XPS 13 9370. Pretty sure it will also work on the 9380.
    Originally posted by phoenk View Post
    I just received my 9380 yesterday, and the first thing I did was install the F30 beta. It has been smooth sailing so far, everything appears to Just Work (tm).
    Wow, thanks for letting me know! That's a relief. I can't wait for it to arrive

Leave a comment:

• phoenk
    replied
    Originally posted by veeableful View Post

Oh noo, I just ordered Dell XPS 13 (9380) because my Macbook Air is too limited in CPU and RAM for development and has problem with Fedora 30's Wifi (29 was fine). I hope I can at least run Fedora 30 perfectly on it despite any installation hurdles
    I just received my 9380 yesterday, and the first thing I did was install the F30 beta. It has been smooth sailing so far, everything appears to Just Work (tm).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X