No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Is Approaching The Finish Line But First It Has Some Bugs To Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I remember testing out Fedora 8, and finally being convinced by Fedora 10 to switch. It's been a while.

Comment

Well, happy that this doesn't affect me any more since I was allowed to switch from Fedora to Arch at work.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        what's the wallpaper like???
        See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F30_Artwork

Comment

Originally posted by timex View Post
          Still unable to install F29 or 30 on my dell 9570 on the regular way, I need to use the net instalation process, I think the Basic Graphics Mode is still broken ...
          The problems with nomodeset/Basic Graphics Mode are now considered to be blockers and Fedora 30 won't be released before fixing them. Some fixes are already in place (nomodeset on Legacy BIOS), some of the issues are still being resolved.

Anyway, final Fedora 30 should work in Basic Graphics Mode just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by veeableful View Post

Oh noo, I just ordered Dell XPS 13 (9380) because my Macbook Air is too limited in CPU and RAM for development and has problem with Fedora 30's Wifi (29 was fine). I hope I can at least run Fedora 30 perfectly on it despite any installation hurdles
            Fedora works perfectly on my XPS 13 9370. Pretty sure it will also work on the 9380.

Comment

Originally posted by veeableful View Post

Oh noo, I just ordered Dell XPS 13 (9380) because my Macbook Air is too limited in CPU and RAM for development and has problem with Fedora 30's Wifi (29 was fine). I hope I can at least run Fedora 30 perfectly on it despite any installation hurdles
              I just received my 9380 yesterday, and the first thing I did was install the F30 beta. It has been smooth sailing so far, everything appears to Just Work (tm).

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Fedora works perfectly on my XPS 13 9370. Pretty sure it will also work on the 9380.
                Originally posted by phoenk View Post
                I just received my 9380 yesterday, and the first thing I did was install the F30 beta. It has been smooth sailing so far, everything appears to Just Work (tm).
                Wow, thanks for letting me know! That's a relief. I can't wait for it to arrive

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Note that Fedora KDE packages have been supported by the larger community of volunteers as well as some Red Hat developers for a long time. Spins are also official and in particular KDE is part of the QA blocker bugs process along with GNOME
                  I'm so used to things like "Spins" being considered as unofficial editions or community editions that I just assumed that was the case here. Thanks for taking the time to let me know otherwise.

Comment

Not trying to troll here but, I always wondered why none of the "big" distros pick up KDE as an officially supported desktop? Like, who's KDE really? KDE Neon? Kubuntu? is OpenSuSe really a KDE official guy? and by official I mean, they actually support the environment and block releases based on it.

Arch is neutral, Debian is neutral, but then Ubuntu, Fedora are Gnome guys. Manjaro, OpenMX is XFCE (I guess), then you have cool dudes like budgie or mint with Cinnamon
                    Last edited by JeansenVaars; 16 April 2019, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                      Not trying to troll here but, I always wondered why none of the "big" distros pick up KDE as an officially supported desktop? Like, who's KDE really? KDE Neon? Kubuntu? is OpenSuSe really a KDE official guy? and by official I mean, they actually support the environment and block releases based on it.

Arch is neutral, Debian is neutral, but then Ubuntu, Fedora are Gnome guys. Manjaro, OpenMX is XFCE (I guess), then you have cool dudes like budgie or mint with Cinnamon
                      Manjaro's flagship editions are KDE, XFCE, Gnome, and Architect (bare bones). There's an assload of community editions . They also have XFCE and KDE development preview editions.

KDE being one of their flagships is a big reason why I'm a Manjaro user. Stable, runs well, not overloaded with daily updates like on Arch, no major overhaul upgrades like with Ubuntu or Fedora -- it suites all my needs very well and I honestly feel bad giving them a review the middle of a Fedora thread.

To help answer your question, here's what KDE has to say on what to use when developing and contributing to KDE:
                      While any operating system can be used to patch or develop KDE software, it's easiest if you use a Linux distribution that provides relatively recent versions of Qt and KDE Frameworks, such as KDE Neon, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch/Antergos/Manjaro, Fedora, or non-LTS versions of Ubuntu.
                      Now knowing that the KDE Spin of Fedora is supported along with it being one of the KDE recommends makes me want to give 30 a shot when it's ready...my only real concern is that eventually 31 will be released and I'll have to do a dreaded distribution upgrade .

Comment

Working...
                      X