Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Still Working On ZFS Install Support, But Not In Time For 19.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Still Working On ZFS Install Support, But Not In Time For 19.04

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Still Working On ZFS Install Support, But Not In Time For 19.04

    For the past number of months we've seen Canonical developers working on ZFS support in the Ubuntu desktop and ZFS root partition support so that the Ubuntu desktop could (optionally) be installed to a ZFS On Linux partition. That work has been continuing and it's looking like we could see the fruits of that work for the Ubuntu 19.10 cycle...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-April-Ongoing

  • #2
    Well, I've said this before. This calls for boycott of Canonical, as they're violating GPL. ZFS can cure cancer for all I care, people working on this tumor of a port should be sent cease and desist letters.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      Well, I've said this before. This calls for boycott of Canonical, as they're violating GPL. ZFS can cure cancer for all I care, people working on this tumor of a port should be sent cease and desist letters.
      Exactly who is going to send such cease and desist letters ... Oracle? No CDDL violation so I don't think so.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        Well, I've said this before. This calls for boycott of Canonical, as they're violating GPL. ZFS can cure cancer for all I care, people working on this tumor of a port should be sent cease and desist letters.
        There's no violation if Ubuntu ships their distro with ZFS support, only if Linux accepts it upstream.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Britoid View Post

          There's no violation if Ubuntu ships their distro with ZFS support, only if Linux accepts it upstream.


          I don't think Ubuntu is allowed to ship the actual bits (kernel module, etc...) as part of the installer or ISO. It will still have to be a user action to download and activate ZFS. This, however, they can make as friendly as they want and even if that's a checkbox in the installer it's fine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rhavenn View Post
            I don't think Ubuntu is allowed to ship the actual bits (kernel module, etc...) as part of the installer or ISO. It will still have to be a user action to download and activate ZFS. This, however, they can make as friendly as they want and even if that's a checkbox in the installer it's fine.
            They already do include the kernel module. In the current versions, the only thing you need to install to use ZFS are the utilities. That's what makes Ubuntu the best Linux disto there is for ZFS. There are no worries of ZFS breaking with kernel updates.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rhavenn View Post



              I don't think Ubuntu is allowed to ship the actual bits (kernel module, etc...) as part of the installer or ISO. It will still have to be a user action to download and activate ZFS. This, however, they can make as friendly as they want and even if that's a checkbox in the installer it's fine.

              Pretty much every Android device ships with kernel modules. There's nothing stopping you from doing so.

              Comment


              • #8
                Proxmox VE, a Debian-based distribution focused on virtualization also ships ZFS in the ISO and allows easy installation to ZFS.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  Well, I've said this before. This calls for boycott of Canonical, as they're violating GPL. ZFS can cure cancer for all I care, people working on this tumor of a port should be sent cease and desist letters.
                  Lol. How is this any different from the Nvidia module Ubuntu already ships? Well..? How..? At least the ZFS module is open source, hypocrite.

                  Looking forward to using ZFS on root on Ubuntu and all the features it provides like boot environments and hassle free encrypted datasets and incremental snapshoting them to the cloud.

                  Good work Canonical, make Linux great again and use the best free filesystem on the planet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    Lol. How is this any different from the Nvidia module Ubuntu already ships? Well..? How..? At least the ZFS module is open source, hypocrite.
                    Because, as you correctly observed, the Nvidia blob ships as a module, not as a kernel built-in?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X