Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo-Based Sabayon 19.03 - Finally Supports Full Disk Encryption, Python 3 Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo-Based Sabayon 19.03 - Finally Supports Full Disk Encryption, Python 3 Default

Phoronix: Gentoo-Based Sabayon 19.03 - Finally Supports Full Disk Encryption, Python 3 Default

It's been a while since last having any major news to report on Sabayon Linux, the once quite popular Gentoo-based Linux distribution, but they ended out March with a big update as version 19.03...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    migrated from Anaconda to Calmares as its installer,

Comment

i remeber when in the config files about python 3 there was written "kill it with fire"

Comment

I know what I'll be trying out this evening

Comment

It'll be interesting to see some performance comparisons when fully compiled with Clang/LLVM 8, I imagine it'll be quite the improvement for AMD graphics.

Comment

Gentoo is pretty good but it's a pain too. I'd like to try this but it needs ZFS install on root to replace my Funtoo install.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
              Gentoo is pretty good but it's a pain too. I'd like to try this but it needs ZFS install on root to replace my Funtoo install.
              It's been a few years since I've played with Gentoo. Last time I tried it, it wasn't possible to keep it up to date. Even if I ran 'emerge -uDU --keep-going --with-bdeps=y @world' every day, it would take longer than 24 hours to complete, so it would never catch up, lol. This was a desktop with loads of packages installed. A more stripped down install would help I'm sure, as would more modern hardware. Still, I can't see anyone but a mega ultra die hard Linux geek using Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                It's been a few years since I've played with Gentoo. Last time I tried it, it wasn't possible to keep it up to date. Even if I ran 'emerge -uDU --keep-going --with-bdeps=y @world' every day, it would take longer than 24 hours to complete, so it would never catch up, lol. This was a desktop with loads of packages installed. A more stripped down install would help I'm sure, as would more modern hardware. Still, I can't see anyone but a mega ultra die hard Linux geek using Gentoo.
                Learning Gentoo can take a while, but you can opt for 'binary packages' as well as building from source. Packages like firefox, QT stuff or openoffice can take quite a while with a mid to bottom tier processor. If you have multiple machines you can even run your own binary-package-server, and host the binary packages over NFS. So, Gentoo doesn't need to build from source every time.

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post

Learning Gentoo can take a while, but you can opt for 'binary packages' as well as building from source. Packages like firefox, QT stuff or openoffice can take quite a while with a mid to bottom tier processor. If you have multiple machines you can even run your own binary-package-server, and host the binary packages over NFS. So, Gentoo doesn't need to build from source every time.
                  The biggest annoyance is all of the different webkit packages to be compiled for both Qt and GTK. If you're not careful, there is also a chance you'll end up compiling more than one at the same time and easily run out of memory (especially with LTO enabled).

Comment

Working...
                  X