OpenSuSE 11.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
    I just tried out KDE 4 on OpenSuse 11.1 and it made me cry. I was disappointed by openSUSE's choice to jump onto the Ubuntu ease-of-use bandwagon. All the options that I came to know and love in KDE 3.5 are now gone with 4. While Linux should be easy for new users, making it more difficult and dumbed down for experienced users isn't the answer. I know you can still install 3.5 atm but that will not be the case in the next release.

This is more of a gripe at KDE4 but Opensuse is pushing it as its new standard. Thats my 2 cents....
    Hey KDE 3.5 is no longer being maintained. 3.5.10 is the final release of it. Nothing much the openSUSE guys can do about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
      I just tried out KDE 4 on OpenSuse 11.1 and it made me cry. I was disappointed by openSUSE's choice to jump onto the Ubuntu ease-of-use bandwagon. All the options that I came to know and love in KDE 3.5 are now gone with 4. While Linux should be easy for new users, making it more difficult and dumbed down for experienced users isn't the answer. I know you can still install 3.5 atm but that will not be the case in the next release.

This is more of a gripe at KDE4 but Opensuse is pushing it as its new standard. Thats my 2 cents....
      deanjo is right, and the same happen from KDE 2.2 to 3, it was at the beginning not features complete and stable, but after some time is was much better than the 2.x releases.

Now, the latest devel KDE is very very well. You can try KDE 4.2 beta 2 from a repo in this page. You can wait also to January 13th to the RC release or to January 27th for the final one.

From the KDE 4.2 beta 2 announcement page
      Since the first beta, which was released less than 4 weeks ago, 1665 new bugs have been opened, and 2243 bugs have been closed. Since the release of KDE 4.1.0, more than ten thousand bugs were closed, showing a massive focus on stability in the upcoming KDE 4.2.0 which will be released in January 2009, 6 months after KDE 4.1. KDE 4.2.0 will be followed up by a series of monthly service updates and followed up by KDE 4.3.0 in summer 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
        deanjo is right, and the same happen from KDE 2.2 to 3, it was at the beginning not features complete and stable, but after some time is was much better than the 2.x releases.

Now, the latest devel KDE is very very well. You can try KDE 4.2 beta 2 from a repo in this page. You can wait also to January 13th to the RC release or to January 27th for the final one.

From the KDE 4.2 beta 2 announcement page
        I havent found and missing features myself. There was originally some software missing, but that all seems to have been built with the latest version now.

Comment

Working...
        X