Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.04 Beta Now Available For Testing With Linux 5.0 + GNOME Shell 3.32 Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by cynical View Post

Under Wayland or Xorg? My system works perfectly under Xorg, but I get messages about memory corruption if I try to resume under Wayland. It's really unfortunate because I was hoping to avoid some of the oddities of running Gnome under Xorg. (like apps not gaining focus after launch) My laptop has Broadwell-era Intel graphics. Strangely, my Ivy Bridge desktop works great under Intel graphics no matter what.
    I use Wayland but actually it happens even with plain GDM with no session logged in, so whichever GDM uses by default. But after some tests it looked like for whatever reason the laptop was trying to go into hibernation immediately after resume (?????) which made it crash. Since I don't use hibernation I added HandleHibernateKey=ignore to logind.conf. I'm not absolutely sure this is the whole problem and a definitive fix, but so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Did you make a bug report already?
    Hmm, no I have not. Maybe I should.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Yes the app overview transition is very smooth now!
    Unfortunately, the duration of the animation is too long. Also the folding animation is rather ugly, I would much prefer a sliding animation.
    Did you make a bug report already?

Screw this, I'm too late and can't do any reviews of this anymore
    Last edited by tildearrow; 29 March 2019, 12:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied

Under Wayland or Xorg? My system works perfectly under Xorg, but I get messages about memory corruption if I try to resume under Wayland. It's really unfortunate because I was hoping to avoid some of the oddities of running Gnome under Xorg. (like apps not gaining focus after launch) My laptop has Broadwell-era Intel graphics. Strangely, my Ivy Bridge desktop works great under Intel graphics no matter what.
    The focus bug will likely be fixed before release: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1817924

Leave a comment:

• cynical
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    It looks good except that on my laptop it simply can't resume after suspend (black screen, mouse cursor frozen). NB: the graphics driver is i915.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    The improvements to Gnome are very noticeable. Especially the updated file manager (contents are rendered very quickly) and the overview. (the transition to app icons is smooth now)!
    Yes the app overview transition is very smooth now!
    Unfortunately, the duration of the animation is too long. Also the folding animation is rather ugly, I would much prefer a sliding animation.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

Which generation cpu/chipset? Is it hybrid graphics with nvidia or intel only?

I haven't seen Intel only not resume from suspend properly for many years, outside their weird soc/tablet atoms. I use ThinkPads though which have better than average support.
    Honestly I don't think it's the Intel driver. I have done some tests and at the moment the issue seems to be probably with GDM and/or the screen locker.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    It looks good except that on my laptop it simply can't resume after suspend (black screen, mouse cursor frozen). NB: the graphics driver is i915.
    Which generation cpu/chipset? Is it hybrid graphics with nvidia or intel only?

I haven't seen Intel only not resume from suspend properly for many years, outside their weird soc/tablet atoms. I use ThinkPads though which have better than average support.

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    That's par-for-the-course with Intel GPUs unfortunately. Sometimes I can get mine to resume from suspend, but not often enough to trust it. Hibernation is even worse.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X