Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.04 Is Offering Some Performance Improvements Over Ubuntu 18.10, Comparison To Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
    Nice to see the performance improvement between the two platforms, I am about to buy an core i9 9900k based desktop to replace my dell XPS15 9560 for programming: compiling LLVM/Clang is always a pain with *only* 4 cores.
    Hey that's pretty neat, I see that it has integrated graphics but I don't know how the quantity of displays work. Will you be getting it separately and then use one of those gaming motherboards or will you be getting it as part of a workstation? At my local Dell, the 9900K is only available in gaming devices, with nothing available at my local HP. The gaming motherboards can be nice, but in my experience the default settings are weird (less power management, so less turbo, mainly), updates can be infrequent depending on model, and ports are very much gamer oriented. Big advantage is probably that you can get lots of RAM for a lot less.

Let me know about your experiences please!

Edit: wow RAM is still crazy expensive everywhere.
    Last edited by Compartmentalisation; 28 March 2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

Hey that's pretty neat, I see that it has integrated graphics but I don't know how the quantity of displays work. Will you be getting it separately and then use one of those gaming motherboards or will you be getting it as part of a workstation? At my local Dell, the 9900K is only available in gaming devices, with nothing available at my local HP. The gaming motherboards can be nice, but in my experience the default settings are weird (less power management, so less turbo, mainly), updates can be infrequent depending on model, and ports are very much gamer oriented. Big advantage is probably that you can get lots of RAM for a lot less.

Let me know about your experiences please!

Edit: wow RAM is still crazy expensive everywhere.
      I bought a pre-assembled gaming platform: it was the only one shrinking into my budget. I am living in Brazil and computers are very expensive in here because of importation taxes.
      I choosed the MSI Z390-A PRO motherboard with also an nvidia RTX 270 (for CUDA), 32 GB of RAM, Corsair Tx750m PSU and a 480GB NVM M.2 SSD.
      Last edited by elldekaa; 30 March 2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I have questions to one line in the article that says "Ubuntu 19.04 continues using the EXT4 file-system by default, no I/O scheduler for NVMe SSD storage,...."
        Does that mean if you run it on an NVMe storage there's tweaking involved? Is it bad that it doesn't have an I/O scheduler? Can you elaborate? Especially since you tested in on a machine that I just ordered (well ordered a 9380 but similar enough). Thanks!

Comment

I finally have Clear Linux running fairly well on a legacy HP i7-2600 with an SSD. Even popped in a GeForce and got the NVidia driver installed per Intel's instructions. Flatpak support is up there, but not everyone is a believer in it yet.

Tried to use KVM, but when I set up the network bridge, network performance went to the basement for the host, so I ripped it out and the performance came back. Will have to look at that again. Seems to be some issue with the names, eno1 or eth1.

Flatpak apps can be resized but some of the Gnome apps can't. Hmm.

Everytime I have tried CL I get a little farther each time before the futz factor gets too high. We will see how far this one goes.

Comment

Working...
          X