Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Gets GNOME 3.30 Running Without Systemd

Phoronix: Gentoo Gets GNOME 3.30 Running Without Systemd

For those trying to keep to a systemd-free system, Gentoo developers have GNOME once again working without being dependent on systemd. The developers have managed with GNOME 3.30 the ability to use any init system desired, well, primarily OpenRC as is popular with Gentoo users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good on you folks; you did the thing that the whiners and complainers didn't: you actually walked the walk.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Good on you folks; you did the thing that the whiners and complainers didn't: you actually walked the walk.
      I'm glad they did.

I've been spending some of my hobby project time bringing an old Alpha PWS 500a back to life (upgraded to USB2, a Radeon 5400, and a few other non-original pieces, like my old SB AWE64 Gold).

I've got gentoo booted/rebuilt so that I've at least got a working console and a bunch of the system rebuilt. I'm currently working on getting Gnome Shell running on this machine, but it's not possible to use systemd on the Alpha architecture due to some missing kernel functionality. With elogind and the systemd-less Gnome it's at least potentially possible for me to get this working, as long as I'm willing to wait for things to build... and wait, and wait... Hmm, maybe I should try again to get that cross compiler functional on my Ryzen 2700 system.

Comment

Oh my... what's so bad about systemd that has a team of professionals actually spending time and resources on this?

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
          Oh my... what's so bad about systemd that has a team of professionals actually spending time and resources on this?
          They're volunteers, they do whatever they please in their spare time. I would worry if GNOME was investing its time in pointless exercises like that instead of working on their more pressing issues. But if some enthusiasts obsess about trying to run application X without systemd, or without a kernel, or without a CPU, then I say whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
            Half the point of open source software is to allow people to scratch itches like this. I'm happy they've done so, and that's coming from someone who regularly rolled my eyes at all the systemd hate that goes on in these forums and elsewhere.

Comment

It seems pretty crazy that a desktop environment would ever be dependent on an init system. Nice work Gentoo team.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                It seems pretty crazy that a desktop environment would ever be dependent on an init system. Nice work Gentoo team.
                Except that systemd isn't an init system because, as this talk explains, the concept of an init system is inherently flawed, being conceived in the days when all long-running services aside from getty were managed by inetd. It's a service lifecycle management system and, just as with D-Bus, service lifecycle management is equally valuable to both the system and session scopes.

Comment

elogind tracks systemd

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                    It's pretty damned arrogant, that's what it is. I don't like Gnome anyway, but that pollution was the last nail in its coffin for me.

I don't like Systemd... I used it for a while in a few distros but recently went back to Slackware.

Comment

Working...
                    X