X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov
    We actually don't really care if there is an init system at all. Our problem with systemd is mostly that it does too many things, thus violating the Unix philosophy and in an abstract way the S in SOLID development. Restructure systemd in separate modular utilities and I won't have a problem with it any more.
    Here we go again. Systemd is already a collection of modular utilities. No, there is no single giant executable called "systemd".

As for yhe Unix philosophy, I dare say that syatemd has been so successful precisely BECAUSE it throws it away.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Just wait until you discover X11, or say GNOME.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge overlap in the people that complain about both systemd and wayland.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Due to systemd it's becoming reverse. You'll find more differences between 4 BSD's + handful of derivatives than between most Linux distros. Most Linuces are going 'with the the flow' and exist in the limits systemd has mandated them. Not to mention wide majority being 'off-shoots' of bigger mother distros and not actually original creations themselves.

Little oddball-distros, the really different ones and potentially interesting - have to spend much of their limited developer-hours working things out around systemd. Which hurts them bad because they might not be get noticed before giving up out of frustration.
    Just wait until you discover X11, or say GNOME.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
    The problem with systemd has nothing to do with the functionality it provides.

The real problem is freedom. They are taking away your freedom bit by bit.

Systemd can't run on any c-library but glibc. Already your freedom to use musl, diet-libc, u-clibc etc are taken away from you.

Why would you care about other libc libraries than glibc ? Ask die Docker people how much bloat they shed going from glibc to musl-libc as just 1 example.

Systemd is making the problem worse by assimilating more and more services into systemd.

The Gentoo people are fighting for your freedom and many people can't even recognize they are under thread ...
    Because people should just ignore those nice extra functionalities of glibc and only use the ones exposed by what-ever-libc alternative that exposes the least amounts of functions?

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    GNU/Linux distros are not like the BSDs (FreeBSD & OpenBSD etc). GNU/Linux distros are more of a bazaar compared to the BSDs.
    Due to systemd it's becoming reverse. You'll find more differences between 4 BSD's + handful of derivatives than between most Linux distros. Most Linuces are going 'with the the flow' and exist in the limits systemd has mandated them. Not to mention wide majority being 'off-shoots' of bigger mother distros and not actually original creations themselves.

Little oddball-distros, the really different ones and potentially interesting - have to spend much of their limited developer-hours working things out around systemd. Which hurts them bad because they might not be get noticed before giving up out of frustration.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    For those commenting on UNIX Philosophies, are there any major BSDs in development that do not use a single repo for most development?

Systemd seems to follow this UNIX philosophy more closely than most linux components which are often more independently developed.
    Nope, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly, FreeBSD have all their own separate code repositories.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by Grogan View Post
    I've not heard of Alpine Linux, thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I read a little about it and it sounds pretty cool.
    Void Linux has musl-based variant, if you were looking for desktop-oriented build. Alpine's user's niche seems to be vm's.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    Originally posted by Grogan View Post

I've not heard of Alpine Linux, thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I read a little about it and it sounds pretty cool.
    busybox is a bit lite for my taste, but you can replace most of it with a simple "apk add util-linux" command

Isn't choice a wonderful thing ...
    Last edited by Raka555; 28 March 2019, 01:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Grogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Give Alpine Linux a go as well: https://alpinelinux.org/

It is Linux "done right" IMO.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

If the Unix philosophies were amazing Unix wouldn't be dead.
    Unix isn't dead. And philosophies like KIS -STILL- produce the simplest, fastest, and least buggy software that is capable of being produced.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X