Gentoo Gets GNOME 3.30 Running Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
    It seems pretty crazy that a desktop environment would ever be dependent on an init system. Nice work Gentoo team.
    Indeed, very nice work.
    Its a bottle of Oxygen, for Freedom lovers

Comment

Is this even news? GNOME worked without systemd for years (with elogind)

Comment

Yay Gentoo, the only real Anti-virus people !

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I agree with everything you've written, but you are feeding a troll.
          Force of habit.

Comment

I can see why people don't like systemd, but for me its great. Its simple to create new services and binary journals are improving boot time.

Comment

The problem with systemd has nothing to do with the functionality it provides.

The real problem is freedom. They are taking away your freedom bit by bit.

Systemd can't run on any c-library but glibc. Already your freedom to use musl, diet-libc, u-clibc etc are taken away from you.

Why would you care about other libc libraries than glibc ? Ask die Docker people how much bloat they shed going from glibc to musl-libc as just 1 example.

Systemd is making the problem worse by assimilating more and more services into systemd.

The Gentoo people are fighting for your freedom and many people can't even recognize they are under thread ...

Comment

I attended a talk by one of the Gentoo core contributors a few years ago, and he made the point that Gentoo is about choice. He ran systemd himself and was fine with it, but supported the efforts to allow any init system any contributor cared to work on.

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                The problem with systemd has nothing to do with the functionality it provides.

The real problem is freedom. They are taking away your freedom bit by bit.

Systemd can't run on any c-library but glibc. Already your freedom to use musl, diet-libc, u-clibc etc are taken away from you.
                You lose your freedom if you are blocked from running other software and blocked from forking the software and changing it.

Systemd does not do those things. It would undoubtedly take a ton of work to run systemd with one of those other libc versions, but nobody is stopped from doing it.

And IBM, Red Hat, and Poettering aren't threatening free software communities with lawyers or armed mercenaries to get them to use systemd, and they're not bribing them either. People are adopting it voluntarily. That's not "taking away your freedom", that's simply people exercising their freedom.

I wish the people using Void Linux (which, I think, uses musl + runit), Gentoo configured without systemd (since Gentoo has systemd available in its core repos), and Devuuan all luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  I attended a talk by one of the Gentoo core contributors a few years ago, and he made the point that Gentoo is about choice. He ran systemd himself and was fine with it, but supported the efforts to allow any init system any contributor cared to work on.

You lose your freedom if you are blocked from running other software and blocked from forking the software and changing it.

Systemd does not do those things. It would undoubtedly take a ton of work to run systemd with one of those other libc versions, but nobody is stopped from doing it.

And IBM, Red Hat, and Poettering aren't threatening free software communities with lawyers or armed mercenaries to get them to use systemd, and they're not bribing them either. People are adopting it voluntarily. That's not "taking away your freedom", that's simply people exercising their freedom.

I wish the people using Void Linux (which, I think, uses musl + runit), Gentoo configured without systemd (since Gentoo has systemd available in its core repos), and Devuuan all luck.
                  Like you say it takes a ton of work to run without systemd. Gentoo is putting in that ton of work and should be lauded for that.

And systemd are just trying to increase that ton of work the whole time ...

Yes, people are adopting systemd voluntarily, because they don't recognize/care about the thread systemd brings.
                  Last edited by Raka555; 28 March 2019, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                    It seems pretty crazy that a desktop environment would ever be dependent on an init system. Nice work Gentoo team.
                    It's not. It depends on the logind D-Bus API. What gentoo did is to implement the needed API in elogind (a standalone fork of the logind implementation from systemd)
                    Last edited by Bigon; 28 March 2019, 07:25 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                      GNOME is literally running because someone has forked a Systemd daemon (logind -> elogind), so I find hard to understand wtf are you even talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X