Ubuntu Studio Will Be Sticking Around As An Official Ubuntu Flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Studio Will Be Sticking Around As An Official Ubuntu Flavor

Phoronix: Ubuntu Studio Will Be Sticking Around As An Official Ubuntu Flavor

Earlier this month we wrote about the quandary Ubuntu Studio was in, the flavor of Ubuntu shipping with multimedia production and content creation software: none of their active developers had upload rights for updating packages. Fortunately, that situation has now been resolved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by msotirov
    That's awesome. Just switch the DE to KDE, thanks
    That's called Kubuntu, it already exists.

Comment

Nope. Ubuntu Studio is targeted at audio production. It comes with many audio applications and utilities preinstalled and uses a custom low-latency kernel. On Kubuntu you need to configure and install all these things by yourself.
      Then just use the studio applications without bothering about a lick of paint or something...

🤦

Comment

Booooo.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

Then just use the studio applications without bothering about a lick of paint or something...

🤦
          I didn't realize that "sudo apt-get install the_crap_I_want" was that difficult.

Comment

Good to hear that they were able to resolve this, but seeing how long they went without rights to update their own packages I hope they also resolved the evident lack of management issue that caused farce to begin with.

Comment

Nope. Ubuntu Studio is targeted at audio production. It comes with many audio applications and utilities preinstalled and uses a custom low-latency kernel. On Kubuntu you need to configure and install all these things by yourself.
              So then you install Ubuntu Studio with all of its tweaks and utilities and you sudo apt install kde on top of it.
              Problem solved.

Comment

It is not only audio tools but graphic tools as well including Kdenlive.
                I've been using it on my laptop for some time now and it is very cool to never get XRUN errors using JACK during long audio recording.

Comment

Since when is the DE just a "lick of paint"? For all intents and purposes the way you interact with the OS is the OS.

And no, apt installing the DE is not the same as a custom tailored experience, properly integrated into the OS build.
                  Some distributions, like Manjaro, provide a package that sets up that custom tailored experience with guides to fill in the rest. Makes it really easy to switch DEs with Manjaro. It's easy to forget that other distros don't provide those packages after using Antergos and Manjaro for so many years.

I can imagine that an Ubuntu flavor like Studio would require someone to actually make a KDE specific edition to be THAT integrated. The only other option is to install KDE on top of Studio and then to configure it as necessary...possibly document what all was done to contribute towards a possible Ubuntu Studio KDE Edition...

Installing via apt might not be the exact same, but "that + customizing it" is all you can really do if the product you want doesn't exist. You're in the wrong forums if you think that's too difficult.

Be glad that's all you have to do...I'm going to have to migrate to Gentoo and create my own overlays to get the specific system I want because all the features I want don't exist in the same distribution...don't ask because I'm going full on retard for shits and giggles...

Comment

Working...
                  X